RC Groups

RC Groups
    Multirotor Talk
        Discussion DJI Phantom DIY, Modifications, Upgrades, Tips, and How To

#1 TonyTypeS Jan 26, 2013 08:55 PM

DJI Phantom DIY, Modifications, Upgrades, Tips, and How To
 
Since the other Phantom thread has been getting a lot of people posting about custom stuff and upgrades lets start a new thread just for that :)

Let's keep this thread about mods, upgrades, and tips. Lets see what us Phantom owners are doing to our Phantoms :)

Here's a GoPro 2 axis gimbal I made:
DJI Phantom Custom Camer Gimbal (1 min 47 sec)


Here's a flight with the gimbal in action:
DJI Phantom Custom Camera Gimbal Outdoor Flight test (4 min 6 sec)


I just got my new Graupner props in and can't wait to try those out. I hope it helps with the vibrations I get in fast forward flight :)

Starting my "Custom" Phantom build from the ground up.
Custom DJI Phantom Build (8 min 26 sec)

#2 vislaw Jan 26, 2013 10:00 PM

Good idea to start this thread, Tony. The other thread was getting unwieldly and it would be nice to focus on mods in one place.

#3 TonyTypeS Jan 27, 2013 11:58 AM

Thanks. Lets just hope others start to post here for any mods and stuff like that :)

#4 TonyTypeS Jan 27, 2013 11:51 PM

I got some better props for my Phantom. Here's a how to vid to get the Graupner 8x5in propeller to fit

DJI Phantom Graupner E-Prop 8x5 Upgrade and How To (4 min 24 sec)

#5 TonyTypeS Jan 28, 2013 12:07 PM

I got a few flights in with the Graupner propellers and all I have to say is I like them! Everything felt more locked-in when flying very aggressively. Lifting power was still the same from where I was flying. One major thing I notice was the Phantom didn't wobble as bad on fast decent. With the stock props the Phantom would wobble a lot.

The down side is the Graupner props are a tad bit louder since they are not slow fly type propellers

If anyone is looking for better video quality from the GoPro these props are the ones to get. Or if you just want to carry more payload like a camera gimbal, larger batteries, or a different camera than a GoPro. The stiffer props do make a difference over the stock props. Now if your just learning I would suggest to stay with the stock propellers :)

I can't wait for my FPV setup to come in now!

#6 TonyTypeS Jan 28, 2013 12:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pictures of stuff I done to my Phantom :)

Props made a difference in flight and my homemade 2-axis camera gimbal works great

#7 rudeboy78 Jan 28, 2013 12:51 PM

Here's the video I did on my FPV set up

Phantom FPV How To (7 min 27 sec)


here's how it looks now

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...psaaf5b805.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps30855d6e.jpg

I've also changed out the stock rx for an EzUHF one so I can use my existing Futaba 9C EzUHF set up,no video yet but may get round to doing a how to on changing the rx!!

#8 sidneyw Jan 28, 2013 01:02 PM

Hi Tony, good place to look for mod on Phantom.:)

Hope you see you again this year at IRCHA. I've heard Graupner is in financial troubles for a couple of years. I hope they will continue to sell the props.

#9 TonyTypeS Jan 28, 2013 01:03 PM

Very nice! I can't wait for my FPV setup comes in. I have been dying to try FPV looking through some googles. I love the carbon look. You have the slickest looking Phantom so far :D

#10 wavekatcher Jan 28, 2013 06:07 PM

Cave man easy Phantom FPV
 
3 Attachment(s)
So easy, a cave-man could do it. I'm not sure a cave-man could fly FPV though.:D

ImmersionRC 600mw 5.8ghz TX

RMRC-540N CCTV camera with RMRC made cables for running cam & VTX off Phantom 3s Battery.

Spironet Antenna set

Predator V2 goggles.

I soldered a jst connector onto the DJI supplied power take off in the Phantom. Velcro for VTX and wires. DJI supplied bolt for cam mount with a little 3m 4011 double sided tape for antivibration/hold down strength

Total time from start to finish...30 minutes:)

A fun setup for close-in FPV.

#11 FITandFUEL Jan 28, 2013 06:19 PM

I'll post mine over here.

I think its starting to look like a bug. CF legs as well as a gimbal I'm working on.
http://fitandfuel.com/blog/wp-conten...1/DSC_4664.jpg

@ TonyTypeS, The gimbal seems to be coming together nicely. What servos as you using for your gimbal and what are your gain settings for Pitch and Roll? I'm working on dialing mine in but starting to get frustrated.

I'm thinking of ditching the gimbal as my FPV setup should be arriving tomorrow! I plan on using the GoPro as the camera so I have to make myself a cable tonight.

#12 jcmendo01 Jan 28, 2013 06:43 PM

Where to buy Graupners
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTypeS (Post 23954290)
I got some better props for my Phantom. Here's a how to vid to get the Graupner 8x5in propeller to fit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF27FEdLZK0

Where's the best place to buy graupners props

#13 TonyTypeS Jan 28, 2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidneyw (Post 23958910)
Hi Tony, good place to look for mod on Phantom.:)

Hope you see you again this year at IRCHA. I've heard Graupner is in financial troubles for a couple of years. I hope they will continue to sell the props.

Thanks, Not sure if I will attend IRCHA this year. Let's hope I can make it because I had a fun week when I was there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavekatcher (Post 23962107)
So easy, a cave-man could do it. I'm not sure a cave-man could fly FPV though.:D

ImmersionRC 600mw 5.8ghz TX

RMRC-540N CCTV camera with RMRC made cables for running cam & VTX off Phantom 3s Battery.

Spironet Antenna set

Predator V2 goggles.

I soldered a jst connector onto the DJI supplied power take off in the Phantom. Velcro for VTX and wires. DJI supplied bolt for cam mount with a little 3m 4011 double sided tape for antivibration/hold down strength

Total time from start to finish...30 minutes:)

A fun setup for close-in FPV.

Nice. What's your range your getting with the 600mw TX?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FITandFUEL (Post 23962220)
I'll post mine over here.

I think its starting to look like a bug. CF legs as well as a gimbal I'm working on.
http://fitandfuel.com/blog/wp-conten...1/DSC_4664.jpg

@ TonyTypeS, The gimbal seems to be coming together nicely. What servos as you using for your gimbal and what are your gain settings for Pitch and Roll? I'm working on dialing mine in but starting to get frustrated.

I'm thinking of ditching the gimbal as my FPV setup should be arriving tomorrow! I plan on using the GoPro as the camera so I have to make myself a cable tonight.

I think it looks pretty cool. The tall wide stance gets the legs out t way when shooting with the GoPro.

I'm using JR287mg servos. I have the gains set at 23. I was messing around with the gimbal gains and notice it relate more to how much the servos move when tilted. I thought it was suppose to be how sensitive the gyros will be, but it was different in my test. I set my gains by tilting the quad and adjusting they gain till the gimbal stayed nice and level. Took about 5 minutes to figure it out.

Looks like we're both going the FPV route. I already have my cable for the GoPro 3. Just waiting for the googles to come in sometime this week :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmendo01 (Post 23962450)
Where's the best place to buy graupners props

You can get Graupner props from a few vendors. I got mines from GotHeliRc because they were the closes to me. I was in a rush to get them lol 2 days to get them. Rc-Drones also caries them too and he ships USPS Priority.

#14 floete Jan 29, 2013 07:40 AM

tonytypes: did you make or buy your GoPro 3 cable? i have the camera and a Fatshark on the way and am going to need one soon, so if you bought it, could you say where? thanks!

#15 jcmendo01 Jan 29, 2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floete (Post 23966903)
tonytypes: did you make or buy your GoPro 3 cable? i have the camera and a Fatshark on the way and am going to need one soon, so if you bought it, could you say where? thanks!

I ordered mine here:
http://www.fpvhobby.com/209-gopro-he...deo-cable.html

Where is everyone getting their fpv set up? Hobby king is back ordered.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.