RC Groups

RC Groups
    Pylon Racing
        Discussion Pylon stickers on wing

#1 Kaw1000 Jan 25, 2013 08:48 PM

Pylon stickers on wing

I flew a Pogo in a event where they put different color stickers on the wings. Can someone tell me the best way to get those stickers off of the monocote??

#2 fizzwater2 Jan 25, 2013 09:22 PM

Lighter fluid usually works, or a little heat from a heat gun, but dont overheat the monokote. Also, remove them as soon as you can after the race. You can also use a little wax or polish on the wing before sticking them on, but that only helps next time, right?

#3 I Marauderer Jan 26, 2013 07:13 AM

The lighter fluid has never worked for me. I always use a heat gun and heat the sticker and slowly peal it off. And like Fizz said sooner is better than later.

#4 Kaw1000 Jan 26, 2013 08:29 AM

Its been on a few months..so I have a job ahead of me. wish there would be a better way to mark the wings.

Thanks guys

#5 fizzwater2 Jan 26, 2013 09:11 AM

If you have the same stickers that I've seen at most races, the lighter fluid helps, but I've had best luck squirting on a bunch, and letting it soak for a while. It does work it's way through the sticker to the glue. Once you get an edge loose, you have to squirt more lighter fluid under it as you SLOWLY lift the sticker.

Heat is easier, but if you're at a race and find that you've forgotten to peel off the last event's sticker, lighter fluid is more portable..

#6 I Marauderer Jan 26, 2013 09:19 AM

Fizz is right about if you are at a race and forgot to take the old sticker off. I have been fortunate to have a deep cycle marine battery and a 1500W inverter so I can take my heat gun with me. I also let others use it and I don't have the noise a generator produces but, I am looking at a generator as a lot of race fields don't have any power.

#7 fizzwater2 Jan 26, 2013 12:43 PM

I'll bet you and your heat gun are pretty popular at races! :)

#8 I Marauderer Jan 26, 2013 01:43 PM

It is getting that way:eek: Charging batteries, etc. Heck I can remember going around and bumming off others:rolleyes: so it all evens out.:D

#9 Edalves68 Feb 22, 2013 09:27 PM

Hint, take the sticker before applying it to your wing and lightly place it on your shirt. The small amount of lint it picks up helps in removal after the race and as long as you wrap the leading edge it will still hold very well. Credit to the the Helena HellCats on this tip.

#10 Kaw1000 Feb 24, 2013 07:52 PM

I used a heat gun and it came off with no problems...thanks for tips guys.

#11 fh64_lucky Feb 27, 2013 09:17 PM

Wax your wing right before you put stickers on it....:)

#12 Kaw1000 Feb 28, 2013 09:56 AM

Got it!!

#13 Dale 813 Feb 28, 2013 09:23 PM

Hopefully. In two weeks, I'll be putting stickers on my wing for the first time !!! I was told to put Rain X on the wing before.

#14 JetMech2002 Mar 02, 2013 12:36 PM

Seems like an issue for alot of people. One would think that an alternative to this method would be looked at. Maybe even contacting the company that makes the stickers to see if a lower tack adhesive be used.

#15 I Marauderer Mar 02, 2013 12:59 PM

I started racing again in 08 and have been going to 8-12 races a year. I have heard about the lighter fluid method and about a zillion other methods to protect and remove stickers from the wing. I hadn't heard of the RainX until Dale mentioned that. I have yried a few of them but, I have found if i just wait until I get home and crank up the old heat gun and soften the sticker glue a bit they always come off with a minimum amount of hassle and no problems. I am sure that one of the sticker companies adhesive worked great with the lighter fluid method but "Mr. Murphy" be a very close acquaintance of mine the sticker adhesive that I was trying to soften never worked. I look forward to trying the RainX but I do worry about the sticker coming off before I am through racing especially if the is a flyoff and I need to change sticker colors asap. I have a race in two weeks and I will be trying something different or just take my big marine battery and 1500 watt inverter and have the heat gun in my pit area.