RC Groups

RC Groups
    Slope
        Discussion Video: Sloping a helicopter (motor off, autorotating)

#1 surfimp Jan 25, 2013 03:58 PM

Video: Sloping a helicopter (motor off, autorotating)

Finally! Video answer to the question so many have posed over the years.

Found this thanks to Pierre Rondel's Facebook page for Planet-Soaring. Cool :)

Slope flying a Heli (2 min 27 sec)

Steve

#2 kpeevyhouse Jan 25, 2013 04:32 PM

That's so cool! :D

I like how the rotor RPM almost matched the camera's frame rate, so it looks like it's barely turning. Especially just after launch.

#3 Shedofdread Jan 25, 2013 05:54 PM

I'd heard of someone doing this years ago but never saw it untill earlier (IIRC I saw it posted on RcNetwork). I rather fancy making a gyroplane and trying to fly that off the slope. So many ideas, so little time...

#4 surfimp Jan 25, 2013 06:58 PM

I've heard of it having been done, too, but never seen it. The video has been out since September so I'm sure others have seen it, too, but not being a heli guy at all, I hadn't seen it till now. Pretty neat - not my thing, but I'm glad people never stop experimenting :)

Steve

#5 screamin' eagle Jan 25, 2013 07:06 PM

And he stuck the landing!

As interesting as it was, I was more keen on trying to fly and DS that slope with a proper sloper. Looks like a huge hill with ripping wind and a sharp ridge at the top!

#6 Daemon Jan 26, 2013 01:16 AM

Very cool. Haven't see a heli sloping, but someone decided they wanted
to come up and fly some 3D heli acro in a windy DS groove a couple years back.
3d Heli working a windy DS groove (4 min 0 sec)

ian

#7 atmosteve Jan 26, 2013 01:42 AM

Hey that was excellent Steve, what an example of autorotation! perfect for helping heli-challenged guys like me understand how rotors can function.

Never would have thought it.

#8 Rusty Mustard Apr 10, 2013 01:58 AM

Awesome!

I just found this after trying to slope soar my MCPX BL with some success today. I managed to get it to hover in ridge lift until motor drag finally caught up with it. I ordered an autorotaion kit for it, so hopefully by next week i'll be able to get it to work.

#9 Think4WD Apr 12, 2013 07:48 PM

Thats so sick where is that spot?