RC Groups

RC Groups
    Vendor Talk
        Discussion Beware of www.ValueHobby.com in Chicago

#1 BldrFlyr Jan 23, 2013 03:10 PM

Beware of www.ValueHobby.com in Chicago

I was looking for a Life 9.9v TX battery and found a $15 one at Value Hobby's website. I was skeptical because I had never heard of them and the price was low. I ordered it online and used paypal to try and ensure the order.

I received the battery and sure enough, one of the 3 cells isn't registering nor will it charge. It came with a charge of 6.27v. Neither my Hyperion Duo charger or Hyperion battery checker will show 3 cells, only 2. It came with a a strange little white power plug which I had no way of charging it with ( I have over 25 different batteries and connectors). I switched it to a JST connector to try and charge the 3rd cell. No luck.

Called Value Hobby this morning, no answer. Sent a request, No answer. Called them again this afternoon and they pick up. Long story short is they expect me to pay to send the battery back to them, then they'll send out a new battery. They partially blamed me for the problem by switching the connector (which most of us do). Just poor poor customer service. They're policy is even with defective items, customer pays the shipping back to them.

I'll never buy from them again. I've bought over $20k worth of RC parts in 2012 and this was an unfortunate and negative experience which I had to disclose to others.

#2 grimbeaver Jan 23, 2013 03:20 PM

First stop cross-posting, it's against site rules, you posted the same thread here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1815987

And since that other thread will most likely be deleted I'll respond again here.

Second it is not at all unusual for a company, especially a small company to ask you to pay return shipping.

Third you sound incredibly impatient. You could not even allow them 24 hrs to reply to the request you sent?

Fourth most battery warranty policies say you must check the voltage of the pack and RMA it before changing the connector. This is not at all uncommon.

#3 The Tug Jan 23, 2013 04:18 PM

You're lucky to even be in a conversation about returning the battery after cutting the plug.Try HK customer service thier experience is far superior.:)

#4 porcia83 Jan 23, 2013 07:31 PM

knock on Lipo I've never had an issue with their batteries. It's a one man show there I believe. As Tug noted, it's surprising to hear that they will entertain a return or refund since you cut the plug. Update the thread on how things go.

#5 JimNM Jan 24, 2013 12:49 PM

...20k worth of RC parts in 2012 .... - and yet you don't understand how returns work in this industry?

You cannot blame the vendor for your mistakes.
You modified the battery - issue is done at that point.
You failed at due dilligence.
You expect the vendor to pay for shipping back to them on a return based on your "word".

You have a lot to learn.

#6 dawhale Jan 25, 2013 12:57 PM

I have purchased twice from them after one of our club members recommended them. So far the Lipos I bought have been vary reliable. Sorry about your buying experience.

#7 FieldofDreamsFlyer Jan 25, 2013 02:10 PM

You cry over one little problem, I think this hobby isnt for you.

#8 aeio540 Jan 25, 2013 05:33 PM

I've never had an issue with Value Hobby. Hmmm. Bought quite a few things from there too.

#9 4*60 Jan 25, 2013 08:27 PM

I have bought several LIFE packs and some chargers from that site and they have been great!
Would do business with them any time. I especially like the multiple connectors they provide on the packs.

#10 Tom Moody Jan 25, 2013 09:12 PM

I buy almost all of my LIPO's from them. If I order today I will receive the the next day most of the time.

Have been dealing with them for several years and am very happy with their service.

Tom Moody

#11 pilotpete2 Jan 26, 2013 04:03 PM

I don't mean to pile it on, BUT, one more satisfied Value Hobby customer here:)
Pete

#12 TuMadre Jan 27, 2013 12:34 AM

ValueHobby rules. Its HK without the wait.

#13 karikamiya Jan 29, 2013 01:10 AM

VH loves Canada and i love VH.

Better than HK and faster too

#14 crash&fix612 Feb 10, 2013 05:32 PM

Never had a problem.7 or 8 orders. always get my stuff in about 3 days Great products for the price.:)

#15 wrugen Feb 18, 2013 08:00 AM

Sorry you weren't happy with Value.

I like there service. The Power HD servos are great and the price is good.