RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models
        Discussion How to find indoor flying facilities

#1 grampi Jan 22, 2013 12:47 PM

How to find indoor flying facilities

Is there any way to find out if there are any large indoor facilities in a given locality that allows RC flying?

#2 Vince Herman Jan 22, 2013 01:08 PM

One way is to ask the same question you asked, but include the locality. :-)
I know of 2 or 3 in NE Ohio. Where are you?

#3 grampi Jan 22, 2013 01:45 PM

I'm looking in the Dayton area, also the Kalamazoo, MI area, and the Joliet, IL area.

#4 grampi Jan 22, 2013 02:23 PM

I wonder if the AMA would have some sort of tool that would allow you to search for indoor flying sites by say maybe entering a zipcode and a distance from the zipcode?

#5 Vince Herman Jan 22, 2013 03:15 PM

Dayton OH? Google Maps says you are 1h22m from the Four Seasons Golf Dome.
http://www.jriefestival.com/ lists these dates/times for flying there:
November 17th, 9:00pm - Midnight
December 1st, 9:00pm - Midnight
December 15th, 9:00 - Midnight
January 5th, 9:00 - Midnight
January 19th, 9:00 - Midnight
February 2nd, 9:00 - Midnight
February 16th, 9:00 - Midnight
March 2nd, 9:00 - Midnight
March 16th, 9:00 - Midnight

#6 356Jim Jan 22, 2013 11:32 PM

A sure fire way is to cruise around church parking lots where they have a multi-purpose space/auditorium/gym.

If you see a lot of old farts, you've found a site!!!

Same for high school gyms after school hours. But warning: If the old farts look any way athletic, then leave, as it's probably a 50+ basketball league!!

#7 derk Jan 23, 2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 356Jim (Post 23900507)
A sure fire way is to cruise around church parking lots where they have a multi-purpose space/auditorium/gym.

If you see a lot of old farts, you've found a site!!!

Same for high school gyms after school hours. But warning: If the old farts look any way athletic, then leave, as it's probably a 50+ basketball league!!

old farts with large boxes or parkzone boxes, sure sign ;)

#8 356Jim Jan 23, 2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derk (Post 23901194)
old farts with large boxes or parkzone boxes, sure sign ;)

CRAP!!!

Derk has been spying on me!!

#9 Digital Don Jan 23, 2013 09:12 PM

"Is there any way to find out if there are any large indoor facilities in a given locality that allows RC flying? "

We did the obvious - we asked.

There is a local facility - Legends Sportsplex - that would be ideal for indoor flying. The part of the facility that we were interested in contains 4 basketball courts side-by-side, with about 20' between them. The sportsplex is well-used after school and in the evenings, but not as much in the mornings and early afternoons. So, we contacted the management and asked if it would be possible for us to use the facility at times when it was not normally being used and they agreed!

We basically have two flying days each week, Monday and Thursday from Noon until 3:00 PM. Of course the schedule is subject to other events the facility may have, but that's pretty much how it's worked out over the past few months.

Since most of the guys who fly are geezers, er, retired, the hours work out pretty well. Heck, we don't even miss nap time! We did try evening hours for a while, but didn't get many more guys flying so early afternoons are OK.

The first time we approached them, we figured the worst they could say is "no", but they said yes! So, if you have a suiitable space locally, the easiest way to find out if they'll let you fly there is just to ask!

Don

#10 grampi Jan 29, 2013 03:37 PM

I've also found that hobby shops are a good source of info too. Many of them know of large facilities in their locality that allow indoor flying.