RC Groups

RC Groups
    Batteries and Chargers
        Lipo gets cold while charging

#1 Mark Gund Dec 22, 2003 08:42 PM

I have one TP2100 3s pack that actually gets very cold when I charge it on my Triton at 1c, 2.1 amps It seems to perform o-k, it just get extremely cold while charging. What is the cause of this?:confused:

#2 Greebe Dec 22, 2003 09:45 PM

New Peltier LiPo tech?

Double check to see if the otherside gets hot ;)

#3 rscamp Dec 23, 2003 07:09 AM

Perhaps the chemistry is such that charging is endothermic.

Rob

#4 Mark Gund Dec 23, 2003 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Greebe
New Peltier LiPo tech?

Double check to see if the otherside gets hot ;)

The whole pack gets cold, but when I fly it, it gets barely warm>

#5 Greebe Dec 23, 2003 11:22 AM

I was being facetious. :)

Never heard of any battery going cold on a charge. Would suggest contacting the manufacture

#6 hermperez Dec 23, 2003 12:16 PM

nicads do it all the time.. its an endothermic reaction. Dont know about lipos.

Quote:

Originally posted by Greebe
I was being facetious. :)

Never heard of any battery going cold on a charge. Would suggest contacting the manufacture

#7 Greebe Dec 23, 2003 12:26 PM

Should have said, never have seen a LiPo going cold... sigh

#8 maarset Jan 26, 2010 11:23 AM

I have been charging my lipo's in a 40F garage durring the winter. Would they charge faster if I charged them inside? I know dumb question but just wondering

#9 lucasavaitor Jan 26, 2010 11:32 AM

Probably not much difference, but batteries like to be at room temperature when being charged/discharged.
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarset (Post 14175590)
I have been charging my lipo's in a 40F garage durring the winter. Would they charge faster if I charged them inside? I know dumb question but just wondering

#10 maarset Jan 26, 2010 11:52 AM

Ok thanks. Yah I have been charging them in the cold garage and on a cold piece of granite. I might try and charge inside tonight. My charger has a temp sensor that I always use like religion.

#11 everydayflyer Jan 26, 2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maarset (Post 14175590)

Some say trhat LiPolys should not be charged past 4.1 volts per cell if they are below 50F. The FMA chargers automaticly reduce the max. charge to voltage if the charger detects 50F or below.

Charles

#12 Mark Wood Jan 26, 2010 01:06 PM

I've heard that if lipos are charged cold to 4.2 volts, as the chemistry warms up the voltage can rise a bit.
Anyone else heard that one? I suppose that could be also true for other chemistries. :confused:

mw

#13 SmoothCruizer2 Jan 26, 2010 02:52 PM

most of my packs do this cold effect.... guess I'm nuts or something by touching them every 10-15 mins, they start getting cooler when i first started balancing my packs they get very cool to the touch, I think its a good thing.... some of my smaller packs will get warm around the 4.1 4.2 a cell.... I keep my packs when I'm away from home around 3.75 a cell and they never drop at all till i charge them up again: .... cool: my oldest packs still will charge (2-3 years old) about 65-70 mins and have a fill up around 3/4 of mah.... scott

#14 everydayflyer Jan 26, 2010 03:09 PM

There is a big difference between stating as the OP did
that

Quote:

and the normal cooling during charging of a warm LiPoly.

Yes many of my LiPolys are in fact 115 to 130F after a discharge(flight / test) and yes the cool during the charge. Charging LiPolys generates very little heat so it is perfectly normal for a LiPoly to cool from say 115F to 80F at room temp. during a charge. Simple fact is it would also cool the same amount or perhaps a few degrees more just sitting at room temp.

Charles

#15 rcozstyle Jan 26, 2010 03:13 PM

Hey

Recently it has been hot here and we are trying to keep our lipo's cool, I am storing mine in my fridge away from day temps of 30-40+ c.