RC Groups

RC Groups
    Balsa Builders
        Build Log 1929 Monoprep

#1 TomCrump Jan 19, 2013 09:40 AM

1929 Monoprep

5 Attachment(s)
I've always like the lines of the pre-Golden Age aircraft. There's something about those primative, but yet classic, airframes.

On another site, a modeler is finishing up a Velie Monocoupe, a design that I've admired for years.

Mentioning this to Don Olsen, he reminded me that I have plans for a similar design, the Monoprep.

I dug out the plans, and looked them over. I have most of the wood on hand, to build the airframe

The plans are for a 72" model. A .35 two stroke is shown. The model was designed by Doc Mathews, and the prints are from Air Age.

I don't plan to add super detail to this model. It'll be a flyer.

I need to clear off my bench, but construction should start soon.

#2 EJWash1 Jan 19, 2013 10:25 AM

COOL!

First to subscribe...

Get out the ironing board and go get 'em Tom!

EJWash

#3 loNslo Jan 19, 2013 11:41 AM

OOOO! That's a great looking plane. Never heard of it, before. Its simplicity makes it a good choice for a flyer.

What do you think about adding shear web?

#4 TomCrump Jan 19, 2013 01:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks for looking, guys !

Earl, it's too early for the ironing board, but I'm sure that it will make an appearwnce.

I'm not sure about adding shear webbing. I'll take a look into it when I start the wing.

A few weeks ago, while scratch building a wing for my GP Super Sportster, I swore that I would NEVER scratch build anything again. I hate to cut out parts. I don't seem to have the patience for it.

With that being said, I didn't have any 1/4X1/16 stock to make the elevator laminations with. You guessed it. I had to cut them from sheet stock. :eek:

After cutting the strips, I sprayed them with window cleaner, to soften the wood fibers. The strips were then pinned in place and allowed to dry.

Once dry, I soaked the strips with thin CA, gluing them together.

From there, I added the leading edge, and elevator ribs.

As usual, my dog, Talle, was enthusiastically by my side, lending a hand. :rolleyes:

#5 EJWash1 Jan 19, 2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomCrump (Post 23863140)
As usual, my dog, Talle, was enthusiastically by my side, lending a hand. :rolleyes:

Well you parked her on a comfy bed in front of the heat vent. That's where I'd be too!

EJWash

#6 TomCrump Jan 19, 2013 01:16 PM

Every time we go out to the shop, Talle heads straight for her bed. She loves to lay in front of that heat vent.

You'd have a fight on your hands, if you tried to take it from her, Earl. :D

#7 EJWash1 Jan 19, 2013 02:14 PM

You're building a rare Golden Age bird there. Just looked through some history on it - only eight (8) made.

I'm lovin' the wire wheels!

EJWash

#8 loNslo Jan 19, 2013 02:24 PM

Yeah, good choice. Should be EZ to build and repair. I love the gauge panel!

I could see using CF tubes for the window frames.

Did you have in mind a certain power plant?

#9 TomCrump Jan 19, 2013 02:32 PM

It's a rare bird, for sure. I think that I have enough info on it, for what I plan to do with her.

I plan to power the Monoprep with an OS .52 4 stroke that I bought for another project.

#10 epoxyearl Jan 19, 2013 02:34 PM

He's got Mono !

First off-please take care of Talle....don't let her overexert !! lol

I'm glad to see you back at it, Tom.

That looks so much like a Velie MonoCOUPE !..Are they related ? Anyone ?

#11 EJWash1 Jan 19, 2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epoxyearl (Post 23863744)
That looks so much like a Velie MonoCOUPE !..Are they related ? Anyone ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocoupe_Aircraft

EJWash

#12 Brner Jan 19, 2013 03:35 PM

My toys!

1 Attachment(s)

#13 TomCrump Jan 19, 2013 03:36 PM

So much history. So many neat airframes. I have a Monocoupe 90A, and a plans /kit for a Luscombe Silvaire. :D

#14 TomCrump Jan 19, 2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brner (Post 23864238)

LOL

You have to keep females happy, no matter what the species. :)

#15 epoxyearl Jan 19, 2013 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tom- go to EJWash1's link,then click on Golden age air museum...on the next page, click collection, then go to the 1928 velie monocoupe....That's about 80 miles from here.

I have,and can get, pictures of that.