RC Groups

RC Groups
    Competition Aerobatics
        Discussion What planes are winning IMAC?

#1 cloud_9 Jan 19, 2013 12:24 AM

What planes are winning IMAC?

I looked at 2012 results for various events, but only the pilot is listed. It does not say what plane is being flown. I was curious if the Fliton AJ Extra 330 or any 3DHS or Extreme Flight planes were competitive, or if as in F3A the planes are highly specialized and expensive.
Also, what size planes are the winners flying?
Thanks
Jim

#2 exf3bguy Jan 22, 2013 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jim, IMAC does not fall victim to the " Airplane of the month " syndrome that F3A or AMA pattern does. As long as it is set up well and you have lots of productive practice with most airplanes you will be competitive. I don't have the time to practice as much as I like to but tend to manage well flying unlimited with a 25 year old design.

#3 grosbeak Jan 23, 2013 05:12 AM

Don't forget that in IMAC Basic, anything goes. In Sportsman and up the airplane must be a scale model of an actual aerobatic airplane.

#4 cloud_9 Jan 23, 2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exf3bguy (Post 23899207)
Jim, IMAC does not fall victim to the " Airplane of the month " syndrome that F3A or AMA pattern does. As long as it is set up well and you have lots of productive practice with most airplanes you will be competitive. I don't have the time to practice as much as I like to but tend to manage well flying unlimited with a 25 year old design.

What's the wingspan on that? Looks huge. Do most IMAC competitors use large planes?

Is there a more active forum for IMACers that doesn't require membership (the IMAC site has forums but I can't post there).

Jim

#5 tele1974 Jan 28, 2013 11:47 AM

Anything under 86" is consider a toy in IMAC...and if your not flying a Carden you will be asked to kindly move your toy airplane out of the way so the upper classmen with their Cardens get a good spot on the flight line.

I still participate, I enjoy competeing against myself.

I choose the wrong profession if I think I will be flying in any upper classes.

#6 grosbeak Jan 28, 2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1974 (Post 23958216)
Anything under 86" is consider a toy in IMAC...and if your not flying a Carden you will be asked to kindly move your toy airplane out of the way so the upper classmen with their Cardens get a good spot on the flight line.

I still participate, I enjoy competeing against myself.

I choose the wrong profession if I think I will be flying in any upper classes.

This has not been my experience at all.

#7 cloud_9 Jan 29, 2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grosbeak (Post 23959035)
This has not been my experience at all.

Why doesn't somebody create an aerobatics class or organization where you can compete with your $300 plane against other $300 planes?

If basic allows anything, it's really not a competition.

We need an aerobatics competition that is fair and regulated but affordable, that has plane parameters that will keep things even and competitive, so that people who want to be serious without spending thousands can do so. There should be gas and electric classes. Maybe pattern and IMAC-like classes. Could use the same rules and flight patterns as current pattern and IMAC, just retooled for this new affordable but competitive class.

Am I nuts? And what type of nut am I? I kinda like Brazil nuts....

OK this is my manifesto for revolution and I'm going to start a new thread with it.
:popcorn:

#8 grosbeak Jan 29, 2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud_9 (Post 23966605)
Why doesn't somebody create an aerobatics class or organization where you can compete with your $300 plane against other $300 planes?

If basic allows anything, it's really not a competition.

I don't agree with that either. It comes down to how well you can fly your airplane, not whether it's the same as the next guy's.

#9 whiskykid Jan 29, 2013 10:43 AM

I also agree! it should be about how well you fly, not how fat your wallet is!

#10 cloud_9 Jan 29, 2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grosbeak (Post 23967538)
I don't agree with that either. It comes down to how well you can fly your airplane, not whether it's the same as the next guy's.

Yeah, but if one guy is flying a $10,000 IMAC plane in Basic, and I am flying a Hangar 9 Alpha trainer, it's going to be a little hard to judge. Just making an extreme example to make the point.

#11 cbk07 Jan 31, 2013 01:29 PM

This video seems fitting....

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/8273610/money-for-imac

#12 zx32tt Jan 31, 2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbk07 (Post 23992035)

Unfortunately, is a LOT of truth in this video :) but, you don't have to go crazy just to get started in IMAC.:cool:
To answer your question, the planes that win the most, are the ones that have spent the most time in the air practicing.

#13 cloud_9 Feb 01, 2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zx32tt (Post 23992730)
Unfortunately, is a LOT of truth in this video :) but, you don't have to go crazy just to get started in IMAC.:cool:
To answer your question, the planes that win the most, are the ones that have spent the most time in the air practicing.

Well, that doesn't really get to the point. I doubt any of them are GWS slow sticks.

Doesn't matter though, I've gotten enough info to know I will never be able to afford IMAC.

#14 zx32tt Feb 01, 2013 08:03 AM

Doesn't matter though, I've gotten enough info to know I will never be able to afford IMAC.[/QUOTE]

You can be very competetive in novice with anything you currently fly if it is aerobatic. There are expenses involved like anything else in life. Go to a local event and talk to a few of the pilots. Not everyone flys the latest & greatest stuff.

#15 grosbeak Feb 01, 2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud_9 (Post 23997880)
Doesn't matter though, I've gotten enough info to know I will never be able to afford IMAC.

Your call. IMHO if you can afford to fly, you can afford to fly IMAC.