RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scratchbuilt Multirotors
        Question First Scratch Build Questions

#1 elmtree Jan 18, 2013 10:26 PM

First Scratch Build Questions
 
Hey all!

I want to redesign my current quad into an h-frame so I can mount some FPV gear on it as well as gps and what not (also I think h-quads just look awesome). Currently I have 10 inch props and 1100KV motors. My question is:

What size of h-frame (length and width) would be good with the 10 inch props and 1100KV motors.

My current quad frame is this one which is 550mm motor to motor.
Thanks for any help I get!

#2 eyesonsky Jan 18, 2013 10:46 PM

Hi elmtree.

Welcome to your QuadH project, love it ;)

Yes a H-frame 550mm "motor to motor" will be ok with your setup.

You can also try with 9" props.

What is your FC?

#3 alstoys Jan 18, 2013 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go!

#4 elmtree Jan 18, 2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyesonsky (Post 23858516)
Hi elmtree.

Welcome to your QuadH project, love it ;)

Yes a H-frame 550mm "motor to motor" will be ok with your setup.

You can also try with 9" props.

What is your FC?

Thanks for the enthusiasm! I have a KK2.0 installed on my current frame, but for Christmas I got a Crius AIOP with extend board and gps. I got the board all setup (just the software, not actually on the quad).

I've seen the flitetest h-quad, but I was wondering if that might be too big for my motors and props. Even if my motors can handle it, would it be better to make it smaller for efficiency? I guess it is smaller than my current quad so it will probably be a similar weight (maybe heavier 'cause of the 4 lengths of wood might be heavy).

#5 AcroFPV Jan 19, 2013 12:59 AM

I did a custom wood H frame and put my motors 18" apart from eachother (sorry, i don't think in metric)

The thing flew GREAT! Very stable, and i used 750kv motors with 11" props. The wood I used might have been the wrong stuff, cause the frame alone weighed 3lbs :eek:

#6 alstoys Jan 19, 2013 09:13 AM

I have used Balsa USA for building supplies for fixed wing aircraft for more years than I care to mention. I checked their website and they carry materials to build a wooden frame H-quad.
http://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/62.htm

1 ea. 1/8 x 6 x 24 Poplar Lite Plywood $2.06
4 ea. 1/2 x 1/2 x 24 Basswood Stick $1.17

The lite ply is tough stuff. We have been building giant scale fuselages with it and when properly braced has no flex at all. For less than 10 bucks you’ve got yourself a frame.
Running through some quick calculations, the Flitetest frame should weigh between 200 and 245 grams depending on dimensions. That's roughly 1/2 lb. for you Imperialists.

#7 elmtree Jan 19, 2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subaru4wd (Post 23859286)
I did a custom wood H frame and put my motors 18" apart from eachother (sorry, i don't think in metric)

The thing flew GREAT! Very stable, and i used 750kv motors with 11" props. The wood I used might have been the wrong stuff, cause the frame alone weighed 3lbs :eek:


Awesome! that's a lot of weight for the frame though.




Quote:

Originally Posted by alstoys (Post 23861139)
I have used Balsa USA for building supplies for fixed wing aircraft for more years than I care to mention. I checked their website and they carry materials to build a wooden frame H-quad.
http://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/62.htm

1 ea. 1/8 x 6 x 24 Poplar Lite Plywood $2.06
4 ea. 1/2 x 1/2 x 24 Basswood Stick $1.17

The lite ply is tough stuff. We have been building giant scale fuselages with it and when properly braced has no flex at all. For less than 10 bucks you’ve got yourself a frame.
Running through some quick calculations, the Flitetest frame should weigh between 200 and 245 grams depending on dimensions. That's roughly 1/2 lb. for you Imperialists.

Thanks for the site, looks great. If my local store doesn't carry the stuff I'll check there.

#8 AcroFPV Jan 19, 2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmtree (Post 23867313)
Awesome! that's a lot of weight for the frame though.

Yes it was way heavy, but as i said i used the wrong wood. I am sure much lighter wood is available, i just used 3/4" square stock from Home Depot.

Here's the build for it here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774676

The electronics live on in my new frame, which is a kit bought off the internet. Now the total weight, without battery sits just shy of 2lbs.

#9 elmtree Jan 19, 2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subaru4wd (Post 23867429)
Yes it was way heavy, but as i said i used the wrong wood. I am sure much lighter wood is available, i just used 3/4" square stock from Home Depot.

Here's the build for it here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774676

The electronics live on in my new frame, which is a kit bought off the internet. Now the total weight, without battery sits just shy of 2lbs.

Nice! My current quad with 1 battery is over 2lbs so losing a little weight with the hquad will be great.

#10 elmtree Jan 23, 2013 10:00 PM

I'm thinking of widening the flitetest mid section. How much clearance do the props need from it? With the widening (to 4.5 inches) I have ~1.5 inches of clearance from the props to the plate.

Thanks!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.