RC Groups

RC Groups
    General Aviation
        Discussion Cessna 182 Engine Loss on Takeoff, Video

#1 Chophop Jan 13, 2013 08:54 PM

Cessna 182 Engine Loss on Takeoff, Video

I've had an engine out on landing in an ultralight. One on takeoff is worse for the nerves, not being "flown-in" yet.

Cessna 182 Engine Failure - Crash Landing (4 min 19 sec)

#2 jgalexander Jan 21, 2013 01:05 AM

Thanks for sharing. Here's a link to the video from the actual pilot with his comments (the link above is from someone who snagged the video from ???).
Josh

Cessna 182 airplane emergency engine failure & crash landing 10-23-12 (4 min 19 sec)

#3 Chophop Jan 21, 2013 07:00 AM

Said he was a friend of the guy. You know how that goes, ya do something great and everyone's your friend.
Nice clipboard holder. Kept all that stuff on the yoke and shouldn't be a problem in turbulence where it is most needed. I really don't like that stuff there. Leg splints for me, they keep you alert and don't hide any of the panel.

He followed all I have learned about this situation look forwards for a spot, lucky him cleared the trees and got a clearing to set down in. Had he not held some power he may have done a treetop landing. I may have wasted 25% of my mental rescources complaining because the motor quit and the unlucky fact of no room to do a 180 and at least land beside the runway on grass.

#4 EJWash1 Jan 21, 2013 09:40 AM

Thank God the pilot made it out fine. Lots of heavy breathing, but he kept his head.

If you go to You Tube, you'll be able to read the pilot's comments and the findings of the mechanical malfunction:

NOTE - remove the three dashes (---) before and after the link address. I included these as not to post another posting of the video here.

---http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx7j5qKloRs&list=UUUakQYvJCeYrzBm2JYHeGmA& index=2---

Proof that the engine is there only to keep pilots cool. When they quit, the sweating begins!

EJWash

#5 Trisquire Jan 31, 2013 09:48 AM

Luck for him, there were lots of open fields around the airport. That's not always the case.

#6 aeronca52 Feb 03, 2013 06:32 PM

Only once did I lose power in our Champ. My wife and I were flying over north New Jersey and power just went down to idle rpm's. Carb heat made no difference, fuel was on, mag switch checked, no change in rpm's.

We had just passed Sussex Airport about 3 miles back so made a quick 180 and landed downwind against traffic, but everybody saw us and we were down safe.

Investigation revealed the heat shroud inside the muffler had broken loose and covered the exhaust pipe causing a lot of back pressure. This is what brought the rpm's down.

Left the Champ there and the local mechanic, Bill Schatt, pulled the mufflers, shipped them out for overhaul and we picked the Champ back up 2 weeks later.

It wasn't as scary as imagined since I had been flying sailplanes for over 10 years at that point and was used to 'gliding' flight. Still, it gave me something else to be wary of.

#7 Chophop Feb 04, 2013 04:27 AM

ELWalsh, The yellow test bar at the top of a video will open the Youtube version.

#8 3rdidvet Feb 16, 2013 01:04 AM

Well done. Nothing like a good EF to get the blood flowing! Only thing I may have done different is set it down on that taxiway at the 1st sign of engine trouble considering the forested area past the RW. Took time to process, though. So I'm certainly not knocking his performance!

#9 Chophop Feb 16, 2013 05:51 AM

The 182 is sort of heavy, I don't think there was enough room left.