RC Groups

RC Groups
    Control Line
        Discussion Too Windy In SoCal!

#1 Ah Clem Jan 11, 2013 09:48 PM

Too Windy In SoCal!

Took the Smoothie with me today-way too windy at Whittier (no one was at the U-Control area, which was a big hint).

Tried to fly helicopters, but gave up. I could do it, but it was too windy to be any fun.

#2 Norm Furutani Jan 11, 2013 10:01 PM

Now I don't feel so bad! Couldn't go flying or the AMA show because I was dealing with our house remodel. Hope To get out next week.

Norm

#3 tigreflyer Jan 12, 2013 10:56 PM

I work on Friday, but how about some CL flying at Whittier Narrows Sunday, Saturday or Monday?

#4 Ah Clem Jan 13, 2013 01:02 AM

I may be able to do it another weekday,

Saturday and Sunday are harder for me.

#5 stuntflyr Jan 14, 2013 02:08 PM

You guys sure are a hardy bunch. When it's 70 degrees and the wind is 10 or less is when I fly C/L.
Chris...

#6 Bob Mears Jan 14, 2013 02:49 PM

Here's my fix for windy days.

combat kite (2 min 1 sec)

http://kites-by-chymon.tripod.com/

#7 Jim Thomerson Jan 14, 2013 03:58 PM

If it is a steady wind you can deadstick windfly your stunt or combat airplane. I used to do it all the time when I lived in Lubbock. Flying lazy 8s is easy. Just whip it into the wind, give it up and the wind will bring it up and over, then whip down wind and get it fast enough to come up and over, then do it all over again. I have seen George Aldrich fly the stunt pattern, in 1955, deadstick with a Nobler, He did both vertical and overhead 8s and I was much impressed. Guys from the windy states will often, at a windy contest, finish the flight with a couple of deadstick horizontal 8s.

#8 GallopingGhostlr Jan 15, 2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Mears (Post 23813291)
Here's my fix for windy days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUaU0YBhdQw

Combat kite! ;)

#9 Ah Clem Jan 29, 2013 10:19 AM

Anyone going to Whittier this Friday, assuming the weather cooperates?

I have a Testors Cosmic Wind, a Galax IX, and a Wen Mac "Hawk" Flying Wing ready to go (this will be my first, post-crash U/C flying session).

I might have a 1/2A Flite Streak ready also, if I can get time to go through the motor and test it (SuperBee with a Golden Bee tank).

#10 Norm Furutani Jan 29, 2013 10:23 AM

I think the regular crew is planning on being there Fri.
Seeya!

- Norm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ah Clem (Post 23968185)
Anyone going to Whittier this Friday, assuming the weather cooperates?

I have a Testors Cosmic Wind, a Galax IX, and a Wen Mac "Hawk" Flying Wing ready to go (this will be my first, post-crash U/C flying session).

I might have a 1/2A Flite Streak ready also, if I can get time to go through the motor and test it (SuperBee with a Golden Bee tank).

#11 GallopingGhostlr Jan 29, 2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm Furutani (Post 23968224)
I think the regular crew is planning on being there Fri. Seeya! - Norm

Cool. Last time I was out at Whittier Narrows was in the early 1980's. I'm glad to see they still have the CL circles there. Also am glad to see that 1/2-A CL still thrives in So. Cal. That makes me think. I'm a day and a half away, which makes travel except on special occasions unreasonable. :popcorn:

However, I could make a CL plane that can be broken down and stored in a motorcycle saddle bag, along with a pint of fuel and accessories in a totetable flight bag. ;)

You folks have gotten me thinking on portability. Good luck on your flying, and hope to hear a flight report. :)

#12 tigreflyer Jan 29, 2013 07:29 PM

I'm up for Whitter Narrows this weekend. Only problem is I work on Fridays. Anyone for Saturday or Sunday? I live 2 hours one way from WN and don't wanna drive all that way and find no one to fly with.

#13 Ah Clem Jan 29, 2013 08:41 PM

It's really hard for me to go out on the weekends.

I am sorry-I would like to meet you and fly with you.