RC Groups

RC Groups
    Don's RC
        Discussion Wicked Powered Tech One Neptune EDF

#1 The Don Jan 08, 2013 11:32 PM

Wicked Powered Tech One Neptune EDF

This is my build thread for the Tech One Neptune EDF.

My Power setup:

Setup B: For 4S lipo (about 600 watts)
Lightweight 4S setup
Wicked 4000 with standoff and EDO plug
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?_a=...&product_id=62

EDO type 1 fan unit
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?_a=...&product_id=74

Mount and Dynamic balance:
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?_a=...&product_id=89

Pentium 40 ESC
http://donsrc.com/cart/index.php?_a=...t&product_id=3

The lipo will be a 4S 2200

#2 The Don Jan 08, 2013 11:55 PM

6 Attachment(s)
The stock fan unit is a 64mm unit. The EDO Type 1 or HET 6404 fan will fit into the stock location. The stock fan also uses a mount system to hold the fan down with some small screws. If you wish to use this method, then you want the EDO Type 1 fan as is has side tabs on the outside of the housing. The HET has no such tabs. Typically I use hot melt glue to hold the fans in but some may wish to use the stock method.

The stock motor is a rather short motor and I took a few photos show how longer the Wicked motor stator and Wicked Plus stator is in comparison. The outlet measures 100% FSA which is goo doe thrust not speed so I will be installing a thrust tube. I will be using a 4S 2200 lipo and the photo shows it fits into the cockpit area easily.

More photos to come as I get started!

Don

#3 CarreraGTSCS Jan 13, 2013 03:15 PM

Don-- are you using the 4000 or the 4000 Plus for this build?

Mike

#4 The Don Jan 13, 2013 04:36 PM

I am using the regular 4000 to get a benchmark as I am not sure how "draggy" this airframe is, plus I have extra 40 amp ESCs in my spare parts bin :) I will post some more photos later tonight.

Don

#5 The Don Jan 13, 2013 11:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got some more work done tonight. The fan is mounted (I used hot melt glue). The ESC is soldered to the motor (I used an older Hobbywing 40 amp ESC I had in my spare parts box). I removed some foam to recess the ESC on the lower part of the fuselage and used hot melt glue to hold the ESC in.

The thrust tube is next.

Don

#6 Mitchie Jan 15, 2013 06:05 AM

Don,
Let me know what you use for a thrust tube? I have transplanted a 70mm fan with a Cyclone Power 3300kv motor. I think I need a thrust tube as well, but this is my 1st edf and I have no idea what to use.

#7 simplyg Jan 18, 2013 03:47 AM

Hi, I have decided to use the Neptune for an FPV platform. I use stock setup. Managed to fit 2 x 3s Zippy (one 1500mAh and one 2200mAh) in parallel. they feed my fpv as well. Thinking of upgrading the motor to a T2826 4800kv. Current flight times with 670g AUW circa 18 minutes.

#8 The Don Jan 18, 2013 06:37 AM

Since Turnigy and Cyclone Power are my competitors, I hope you can understand that I do not provide technical support for my competitors products. Therefore I will only be covering how to build this model using the motor fan combos I sell on my website.

Don

#9 The Don Jan 19, 2013 11:16 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Here are photos showing the thrust tube installation. It is an easy installation. The template is included down below in a PDF file. The template shows a centering ring. Lately I have been using a strip of foam instead of making a ring. I cut a 10" piece of 3mm EPP foam about 1/8" wide. The photos show how it is installed, this strip method is quite easy to do and is my preferred method when the gap is only about 1/8" wide. Once installed you see how well it makes the thrust tube stay circular.

Don

#10 The Don Jan 19, 2013 11:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The carbon rod is a little short so to make sure you get equal amounts on each wing section you need to measure it. I found mine was centered with 4 3/8" on each side then glued it.

#11 The Don Jan 20, 2013 11:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The Neptune is now finished. CG with a 4S 2200 is about 170 mm from the trailing edge. The manual shows a CG of 170-180 so I should be OK!

#12 IFlyRCs Jan 22, 2013 04:54 AM

Thanks for all the info and Good luck with the maiden Don!
If you enjoy slow fly cooldown passes, this plane is amazing at it. I'm stunned at the lack of tip stalling. No throttle, full up into a light wind practically sits still. About the best all-around flier I've ever seen.

I love the canopy snap magnets. Wish I could find a source for them.

#13 networker Jan 22, 2013 11:54 PM

Don, your Park Pusher gave my Stryker Wicked power. I'm looking forward to a Wicked Neptune too.

#14 caprini83 Mar 15, 2013 03:57 PM

I might have missed it, but what did you use to make the thrust tube? also where did you place the receiver?

#15 The Don Mar 16, 2013 02:48 PM

I use thin (.007") acetate sheet. I buy it by the roll at local art/craft stores. You can also use overhead transparency sheets. The receivers I use are small and are white, you can see it near the battery wires where the solder joints with red heat shrink are.