RC Groups

RC Groups
    Fuel Plane Talk
        Discussion Line off the exhaust - what's it for?

#1 grosbeak Jan 08, 2013 01:51 PM

Line off the exhaust - what's it for?

One of the first things I noticed when I removed the cowl on my SBach was this line connected to the exhaust - it disappears into the fuse near the canister.

Not sure what this is for - could it be smoke? Any insight is welcome!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8066/8...fc5cf748_z.jpg

Judging by the direction of the arrow on the fitting I figure whatever it is feeds into the exhaust.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8489/8...f1df1637_z.jpg

#2 ChillPhatCat Jan 08, 2013 02:00 PM

I would assume it's a smoke line... is there a smoke tank on the other end? :p

#3 Zor Jan 08, 2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grosbeak (Post 23751962)
One of the first things I noticed when I removed the cowl on my SBach was this line connected to the exhaust - it disappears into the fuse near the canister.

Judging by the direction of the arrow on the fitting I figure whatever it is feeds into the exhaust.

Two lines fuel systems have one line from the fuel tank to the carburetor and a second line from the exhaust going to the fuel tank to provide tank pressue to push the fuel to the carburetor via the other line.

Zor

#4 grosbeak Jan 08, 2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zor (Post 23752265)
Two lines fuel systems have one line from the fuel tank to the carburetor and a second line from the exhaust going to the fuel tank to provide tank pressue to push the fuel to the carburetor via the other line.

Zor

That would make sense for glow, but with gas the engine draws the fuel and the tank is not pressurized.

#5 grosbeak Jan 08, 2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat (Post 23752063)
I would assume it's a smoke line... is there a smoke tank on the other end? :p

Not that I've seen - I'm going to have to get a closer look inside that canister tunnel - that's where the line goes.

#6 whiskykid Jan 08, 2013 02:51 PM

actually should go to some sort of pump, then to a tank, I am 99.9% shure it's a smoke line, and secound pic is of a 1 way check valve!

#7 ChillPhatCat Jan 08, 2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskykid (Post 23752535)
actually should go to some sort of pump, then to a tank, I am 99.9% shure it's a smoke line, and secound pic is of a 1 way check valve!

Ahh yes, that's true, it does need some method of actually getting from the tank to the header.

#8 Zor Jan 08, 2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grosbeak (Post 23752308)
That would make sense for glow, but with gas the engine draws the fuel and the tank is not pressurized.

My apoloiges fellows as the first post did not tell me it was a gasoline engine.

You are sure correct about a smoke system.

Zor

#9 ChillPhatCat Jan 08, 2013 05:27 PM

No offense intended here Zor, but he said it had a 50cc in the other thread that you replied to about pinning firewalls. :p

#10 grosbeak Jan 09, 2013 07:56 AM

No worries, Zor. I should have specified.

The mystery, such as it is, has been solved buy a gentle pull on the line.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8096/8...6efedf86_z.jpg

I did get a picture inside the tunnel too.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8235/8...0ffc2ec0_z.jpg

No room for smoke stuff in there - and there's no evidence that a tank or a pump was ever installed for smoke. If I had to guess I'd say the original owner installed the line to keep his options open.

Since I'm new to giant scale I'll already have my hands full - I have no intention of dealing with the added complexity and weight of a smoke system at this point.

#11 ChillPhatCat Jan 09, 2013 12:28 PM

:cool: I was wondering if you would find that. Just make sure you cap that bung so that you don't create an exhaust leak.

#12 grosbeak Jan 09, 2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat (Post 23761585)
:cool: I was wondering if you would find that. Just make sure you cap that bung so that you don't create an exhaust leak.

I think the check valve will take care of any backflow.

#13 ChillPhatCat Jan 10, 2013 07:29 AM

Oh yeah dur, I misread your post... thought you were taking the line out for some reason.

#14 grosbeak Jan 10, 2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat (Post 23770022)
Oh yeah dur, I misread your post... thought you were taking the line out for some reason.

If I do remove the line I will certainly cap the bung - thanks for the tip. :D

#15 FloridaFlyBob Jan 10, 2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grosbeak (Post 23751962)

Must be nice to have planes so big you loose stuff in them. lol