RC Groups

RC Groups
    CAD/CAM
        Discussion 3D Printer Face Off

#1 SuperBarlow Jan 08, 2013 12:17 PM

3D Printer Face Off

So, I sent an email to every company that make a sub $500 3D printer, and asked them this:Why should I buy your product instead of one of the others? I think that I should get an interesting response from each. For now, here are the emails:

Quote:

Hello Solidoodle,
I am considering buying one of three different 3D printers, Yours, the Printerbot LC, and the Makibox. What sets your apart from the others, and or wh should I buy it instead of one of the others?
Thank you.
Quote:

Hello Printrbot,
I am considering buying one of three different 3D printers, Yours, the Makibox, and the Solidodle basic. What sets your apart from the others, and or why should I buy it instead of one of the others?
Thank you,
Robert
And another one like that for Makibox.

#2 SuperBarlow Jan 08, 2013 02:30 PM

I got a response back from Solidoodle- here it is:
Quote:

HI,

With prices ranging from $499 to $799, and up to 512 cubic inches in building space on the new Solidoodle 3 model, we provide some of the best value in the consumer 3D printer market. I can't speak much on the other companies you mentioned, but I can tell you that with Solidoodle machines are pretty solid--you can even stand on top of them (though we don't recommend it, of course). They were designed by an aerospace engineer and it shows. You can read our product specs at store.solidoodle.com.

I hope this helps. Good luck on making your decision.

Best,

Yahea
The quickness of response is a plus!

#3 samc99us Jan 08, 2013 03:18 PM

We did this study a while back. It comes down to support and software. Makerbot has been excellent in both regards, but its a bit pricey for a home printer.

#4 DeadTom Jan 10, 2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samc99us (Post 23752825)
We did this study a while back. It comes down to support and software. Makerbot has been excellent in both regards, but its a bit pricey for a home printer.

May we ask who "we" are and where this study is located so that others might be enlightened?

#5 jbarnhardt Jan 10, 2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadTom (Post 23777861)
May we ask who "we" are and where this study is located so that others might be enlightened?

+1... Would love to hear the results.

#6 samc99us Jan 13, 2013 06:54 PM

Proprietary information. Didn't buy the machines to test so all the data we used is available on the Internet. I will say that short of a $10k+ machine expect to spend a lot of time tweaking, testing, re-tweaking and testing. I still can't print 2 things identically every time.

#7 helifrek Jan 13, 2013 07:12 PM

Its the year 2013, I have no jetpack no flying car no robot maid and if I want to have a good 3d printer I am looking at over 2k bucks.... wth man. I thought the future was supposed to be cool.

In all seriousness, I would love to have a 3d printer to design my own multicopter and whatnot. Maybe one day!

#8 SuperBarlow Jan 13, 2013 08:08 PM

I haven't heard anything back from any of the other sellers, but I'll give it a few more days.

I don't mind tweaking at all, as it's a learning experience, and I don't have 10K, so I'm trying to find the best of the low budget 3D printers. Solidoodle is looking pretty good right now......

#9 SuperBarlow Jan 13, 2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Its the year 2013, I have no jetpack no flying car no robot maid
You could if you wanted one...
http://www.terrafugia.com/
http://www.jetlev-flyer.com/
http://store.irobot.com/family/index...s=A-ProductAge

#10 DeadTom Jan 13, 2013 09:09 PM

Well my MakiBox will be here in my hot little hands within a few month's, hopefully sooner. I have designed many things to print for the big Cobra heli (details) and I am currently designing a WWI pilot bust to print out. So as soon as it gets here you all will get to hear my trials and tribulations with this sub $500 3d printer.
And realistically I have seen some of Jon's (MakiBox) prints so far and I am quite pleased with the results. And no I am not expecting Stratsys resolution because it has only cost me$350 and 11 month's waiting.
And I would love to have a jetpack and a robot maid also.

#11 helifrek Jan 13, 2013 09:26 PM

Touchè........

Well, I will be following this thread with great interest. Income tax time is almost here, a 3d printer might be in my future!

#12 Ibinde Jan 25, 2013 12:58 PM

I'm thinking of getting a 3D printer to. I'll be following this one.

#13 SuperBarlow Jan 25, 2013 03:53 PM

I haven't heard anything back fom any of the other companies. Looks like I'll be getting a solidoodle printer. :)

#14 DeadTom Jan 25, 2013 04:59 PM

Good for you SB, let us know how it prints.

#15 mlmcquiggjr Feb 02, 2013 07:41 PM

My Printrbot project

I got in on the Printrbot kick starter project and finally got my plastic printrbot for assembly. It did work but I couldn't live with the standard bot. The design of the X axis doesn't allow complete usage of the heated bed. ABS plastic was provided with the unit and did print with kapton tape. I ordered some PLA and wasn't able to find a way to get it to stick. The prints were marginally acceptable. I started collecting parts for a Mendle in hopes of better prints. I ended up ordering a laser cut set of parts and converted my plastic "rep rap" printrbot into a LC woodie. With my experience so far I wouldn't get a printrbot again.