RC Groups

RC Groups
    Racing Boats - Electric
        Discussion Miss Bardhl U-40 1967

#1 P31 Jan 08, 2013 03:33 AM

Miss Bardhl U-40 1967
 
I ordered the framing kit last week and I'm trying to figure out which esc to get. which ESC would be a good starter for me. Is the Turnegy any good they don't seem to be expensive. and do I have to use Lipo's?
Gary

#2 wparsons Jan 08, 2013 06:46 AM

What size is the hull? What motor do you plan to run? How many cells? How fast do you want it to be?

#3 P31 Jan 08, 2013 03:38 PM

It's the Newman 1/8th scale, the motor I picked up on line, its a feigao KV1668.
I just want it to plane well no racing just for fun and scale look
Gary

#4 wparsons Jan 08, 2013 04:00 PM

I would get the Turnigy 120a ESC to give yourself some head room.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Boat_ESC.html

#5 P31 Jan 08, 2013 04:25 PM

That looks good, what is this programming they talk about. I have built scale boats for some 30 yrs and have always used the brushed motors so this is going to be all new to me. I don't like theses Lipo Batteries, to many bad story's. Do i have to use them. Thanks for your help.
Gary

#6 bill34207 Jan 08, 2013 05:42 PM

I smell smoke in your future trying to push a 1/8 scale hydro with a 1668 kv motor and 120 amp esc. 1/8 scalers are normally 40" plus and will be far too heavy & draggy for that setup.

#7 P31 Jan 08, 2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill34207 (Post 23754237)
I smell smoke in your future trying to push a 1/8 scale hydro with a 1668 kv motor and 120 amp esc. 1/8 scalers are normally 40" plus and will be far too heavy & draggy for that setup.

Well, dont stop there. thats why I'm asking.
gary

#8 wparsons Jan 08, 2013 07:56 PM

Woah, I read that as 1/12th scale somehow... forget what I said about a 120a ESC. You'll want a much bigger motor and ESC.

As for lipos, if you want the hydro to get on plane you don't really have any other options. It'll weigh a TON with enough nicads/nimhs to get it going.

#9 P31 Jan 09, 2013 02:33 AM

Well I got alot comments what I should not do and what would happen if do, so I guess I had better ask someone who know's. Thanks for all your help Guy's It was real informative.
Gary

#10 bill34207 Jan 09, 2013 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pamela31 (Post 23758198)
Well I got alot comments what I should not do and what would happen if do, so I guess I had better ask someone who know's. Thanks for all your help Guy's It was real informative.
Gary

Most people get disheartened when they find out what it costs to make a big boat run, Gary.
A $50 motor and esc just won't work for an electric that size.
You really need something in a 700-800 kv range on the motor capable of about 4000 watts. With the lower kv you also need a high voltage esc that will handle 200+ amps and 10s lipo. You can expect around $600 in motor and esc for a "living" setup. About another $150 for a pair of 5000 ma 5s packs.

I'll be happy to add some links for a working setup if you won't fall over from sticker shock.

#11 P31 Jan 09, 2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill34207 (Post 23758699)
Most people get disheartened when they find out what it costs to make a big boat run, Gary.
A $50 motor and esc just won't work for an electric that size.
You really need something in a 700-800 kv range on the motor capable of about 4000 watts. With the lower kv you also need a high voltage esc that will handle 200+ amps and 10s lipo. You can expect around $600 in motor and esc for a "living" setup. About another $150 for a pair of 5000 ma 5s packs.

I'll be happy to add some links for a working setup if you won't fall over from sticker shock.

Thank you sir, I have no problem with cost of things, I have more Boats than most. they are all scale, Mostly Chris Craft Boats. I guess I dont understand the KV part, is it the higher the KV,the more power, because you say I need 700-800 when I have 1680 or somewhere in there. The Boat I,m looking at is about 36" long, Newton plans. and the say a U-1 set up but I cant find out what a U-1 set up is. Thanks for letting me bend your ear.
Gary

#12 cyberhoops Jan 09, 2013 11:54 AM

At 36" I would think we are talking 1/10th scale instead of 1/8th scale ... and in that case your 1600kv motor and a Turnigy 120 should be ok. I have a 1/10th scale boats from ML Boatworks which is based off Newton plans, using either Proboat 1500kv or Proboat Stilletto 1600kv motors on 4S using the Turnigy 120 controller.

If you are going with Newton plans, you might want to check out ML Boatworks for a framing kit - it will save a lot of cutting parts and time spent getting things to fit.

#13 bill34207 Jan 09, 2013 12:04 PM

Cyberhoops has already stated that the motor esc would work and in a 1/10 scale I agree.

Just to clarify, when pushing a large hull you want to go to a lower kv motor to reduce amp draw. You can accomplish power (watts) in two ways. High kv at a lower voltage which pulls tons of amps and makes lots of heat. Or a low kv motor at higher voltage to produce the same wattage with less amp draw and heat.

On the U1 power set up you were referring to, chances are it was meant to be a UL-1 power set that's found in the Aquacraft UL-1 hydro. That one is a 2030 (I think) kv motor and only a 60 amp esc.

#14 P31 Jan 09, 2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberhoops (Post 23761281)
At 36" I would think we are talking 1/10th scale instead of 1/8th scale ... and in that case your 1600kv motor and a Turnigy 120 should be ok. I have a 1/10th scale boats from ML Boatworks which is based off Newton plans, using either Proboat 1500kv or Proboat Stilletto 1600kv motors on 4S using the Turnigy 120 controller.

If you are going with Newton plans, you might want to check out ML Boatworks for a framing kit - it will save a lot of cutting parts and time spent getting things to fit.

Yes I have already ordered the frame kit from them, and I have the plans. So when I get to that part where I install the motor and ESC I will Bend your ear some more, thanks again you have been very helpful.
Gary

#15 wparsons Jan 10, 2013 09:24 AM

kv is rpm/volt so a higher kv isn't more power, just more RPM. Wattage is power, which is volts * amps.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.