RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Plane Talk
        Video V22- Osprey (Foamy) crash!

#1 RCvertt Jan 07, 2013 01:43 PM

V22- Osprey (Foamy) crash!

1 Attachment(s)
My little V22- Osprey (Osprino) crashed today:eek::(

Preliminary reports from the FAA says that high winds and a lost prop saver were to blame.

#2 PinkYakRC Jan 07, 2013 02:11 PM

That looked like a super nice plane. Did it have a gyro system?

#3 verticalspark Jan 07, 2013 09:17 PM

ouch, always hate it when something as simple as that goes wrong.

#4 RCvertt Jan 07, 2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkYakRC (Post 23741628)
That looked like a super nice plane. Did it have a gyro system?

Thanks. Yup its got three gyros and an accel. Works much better on a low to no windy day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by verticalspark (Post 23745973)
ouch, always hate it when something as simple as that goes wrong.

At least we found out what happens if an engine goes out. Glides just like a brick or at least a spinning one.

#5 whirlcap Jan 07, 2013 10:22 PM

pretty neat plane, looks like fun. Is there a thread? Plans?

#6 RCvertt Jan 07, 2013 10:39 PM

Thanks. No real thread on it yet. Wasn't sure if people would be interested in plans. I can try to cook some up though. This one has a flight time of only 6 minutes so I was thinking or making a slightly bigger one with some changes to increase flight time to at least 8 minutes.

#7 PinkYakRC Jan 08, 2013 05:02 PM

Did it have a servo-based motor tilt system?

#8 RCvertt Jan 08, 2013 09:55 PM

It does. It has a servo in each wing tip that tilts the pods/motors up and 90 degrees forward.

#9 Osprey Engineer Jan 09, 2013 11:10 AM

Plans please

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCvertt (Post 23746691)
Thanks. No real thread on it yet. Wasn't sure if people would be interested in plans. I can try to cook some up though. This one has a flight time of only 6 minutes so I was thinking or making a slightly bigger one with some changes to increase flight time to at least 8 minutes.

Awesome job on the Osprey. I am an engineer on that program.
Please start a thread on your version. Very cool. I am sure it is much less complicated and money than the Rotormast kit. Which means it is attractive to a larger portion of the RC community.

Were you using differential RPM for roll and yaw control?
What kind of mixing did you do?

I am sure many people would be interested.

Thanks

#10 PinkYakRC Jan 09, 2013 08:26 PM

I hope you don't mind my questions, but how is the post the motor is connected to attached with the servo?

#11 RCvertt Jan 09, 2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osprey Engineer (Post 23760879)
Awesome job on the Osprey. I am an engineer on that program.
Please start a thread on your version. Very cool. I am sure it is much less complicated and money than the Rotormast kit. Which means it is attractive to a larger portion of the RC community.

Were you using differential RPM for roll and yaw control?
What kind of mixing did you do?

I am sure many people would be interested.

Thanks

Thanks for checking out my foamy version. You guys are doing an awesome job on the real thing. This version costs about 100$ in parts or less depending on if you already have a transmitter and such.

When flying with the pods at 45 degrees, only differential motor RPM is used to turn the plane. When the pods are 90 degrees forward the pods move for vectored thrust roll and pitch control and a little differential motor thrust is mixed in as well.

The mixing is a custom modification of the MultiWii quadcopter code. I'll have to start a thread on it so I can give some more info.

The damage was surprisingly minimal. A little hot glue on the wing and it's back in action now.
V22-Osprey (RC Foamy) repaired (3 min 48 sec)

#12 RCvertt Jan 09, 2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkYakRC (Post 23766586)
I hope you don't mind my questions, but how is the post the motor is connected to attached with the servo?

Questions are very welcomed. The video is about to be bumped off the front page so I'll have to start a thread soon so I can keep an eye on it better.

The pod has a servo horn hot glued into it which is screwed into the servo horn that is on the servo. So it's directly attached to the servo.

#13 nadine Jan 25, 2013 10:09 AM

Hi RCvertt.
Verry good indeed..The code for osprey where i coul find!?
Best regards!!!;););)

#14 Edmonds Jan 25, 2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCvertt (Post 23767515)
When flying with the pods at 45 degrees, only differential motor RPM is used to turn the plane. When the pods are 90 degrees forward the pods move for vectored thrust roll and pitch control and a little differential motor thrust is mixed in as well.

How does that control pitch? Clearly it is doing a good job, you can clearly see the closed-loop pitch behavior when it is hovering.
RE

#15 Test Pilot Mafia Feb 26, 2013 11:55 PM

I want technical specs and pics please... or your not invited to the bicopter club! :D :D :D very cool work, its nice to see someone got a control loop right (with transistion), i botched my build multiple times for 3 years.