RC Groups

RC Groups
    Engines
        Help! Need help with my FPV uav project.

#1 Soren64able Jan 02, 2013 10:51 PM

Need help with my FPV uav project.

I am starting a project I have been looking forward to for a long time now. I am thrilled to do it. But now, I feel overwhelmed. My goal is to build a UAV style rc plane with fpv and controlled from up to at least 3 miles. My budget cannot exceed $1,000USD (and cheaper is better). I would also like to add gps for convenience with tracking and finding it if it is lost. Could someone aid me in making a parts list? I would prefer a 2-stroke nitro engine, but anything works as long as it can run for at least 4-6 miles. Thank you :)

#2 Eddie James Jan 03, 2013 10:10 PM

It is indeed thrilling and overwhelming....but in a sweet way.

#3 Soren64able Jan 03, 2013 10:16 PM

very much so. It is amazing to do, but I am still confused with parts. I can probably assemble it, but some parts don't work with others, others are too expensive, etc. It's sort of frustrating

#4 Roto Rob Jan 03, 2013 10:47 PM

It concerns me when you start out on this quest in the engines forum.

#5 chemnut842 Jan 03, 2013 11:46 PM

Some useful resources:

http://fpvlab.com/forums/index.php

http://www.rcgroups.com/video-piloting-fpv-rpv-469/

http://www.diydrones.com/

Those are all good resources for learning. DIY drones sells stuff too but it has a useful forum section.

In short: 3-6 miles can fairly easily be accomplished with electric. Your first FPV/UAV project NEEDS to be electric. The vibrations and engine tuning and throttle management issues and limited information on making IC engines work with autopilots make it especially challenging. It can be done and it can be done well - just don't start with it.

Get all your FPV/UAV stuff from a vendor with a great reputation - go cheap and you will be buying it twice.

There is so much info - start combing through the links above. Read the sticky section(s) on the RCG link I gave.

Good luck!

Oh and you CAN accomplish your goal on your budget if you hold off on buying and gorge your brain on reading from the above links (and others you will find along the way).

#6 Eddie James Jan 04, 2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roto Rob (Post 23705672)
It concerns me when you start out on this quest in the engines forum.

Just spewed my coffee.

#7 earlwb Jan 04, 2013 09:10 AM

Well the range may be a problem. It depends on the country you live in. Here in the USA you are limited to line of sight. Maybe 1.2 kilometers or so maximum. It is a transmitter RF output limitation mandated by the FCC. They also have some new requirements coming out from the FAA and FCC about FPV vehicles too.

#8 Asia Tech Drones Jan 26, 2013 01:57 PM

You can do this pretty easily with your budget. You do need to study about it and make some decisions on some basics. Plane is #1. Get a platform easy to fly, cheap and durable. Bixler 2 would be an easy choice to cover those. Then decide on a RC radio. Turnigy 9X would do nicely for this too. (Hobbyking has the newest version out thats Great). Then AV Tx and Rx gear decision. Decide on frequency you want to work with. 5.8, 1,2. 1,3...??? Depends on where you live. Then a set of googles or a video monitor / TV and Antennas, Then a OSD or Autopilot or both. Will also need a laptop PC for the GCS for the autopilot. APM 2.5 is a great choice and most of the bugs are worked out of it. You can buy a proven copy of that on RCTimer.com.... but that is most of the major parts needed. At DIY Drones they also offer a RTF plane that has most of this stuff in it too....You need to do some additional research but that would be a good start.

#9 Aerosight UAV Feb 01, 2013 01:09 AM

The guys are giving you great advice. Just be careful as many on forum users over sell what is needed. You often can do more with less. Experimentation and failure is valuable! Start by figuring out your mission objective and then glean the smart guys minds for advice. As ERLWB stated their are some "Wonderful" regulations out their with stiff fines if violated. Certificates of Authorization and TPR issues apply. In my world they have nearly shut us down.

Dave / Aerosight UAV/FPV
civilianuav.com

#10 Rcflyyer1 Feb 02, 2013 04:00 PM

I think it would be best if you moved this to the FPV/UAV piloting forum. You are sure to get many helpful answers there.