RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scratchbuilt EDFs
        Build Log My Falcon 64 Design and Build

#1 j3tman Dec 31, 2012 12:45 PM

My Falcon 64 Design and Build

4 Attachment(s)
Hello everybody, down below is my design of what I am calling the Falcon 64 because it is based off the falcon jet design and I will be using a 64mm edf fan to power it. I used Google sketchup which is a decent 3d modeling program nothing like autocad but it is free so can't complain there. I am kind of a newbie when it comes to scratch builds, I have only built flat foamies with no airfoil (except KF airfoils but those do not count). So I have a couple of questions that might help me have a more successful designing/building stage.

Ribs?
-The plane has a 36in wingspan and I have the ribs setup with 3 inches of space between them. Is that too much? Should i have more ribs in my wing?

-I was planing on cutting the ribs out of 1/16 balsa. Should I move up in size and use 1/8?

Design?
-What do you think of it? Would yo change anything?
-As of now I do not have a rudder. Would it be worth it to add them in?
-Control surfaces. Are they the right size?

I know it is a lot of questions but would rather have them answered now while the plane is still in the designing stage than when it is already put together.

Thanks in advance :)

#2 space 1 Dec 31, 2012 04:36 PM

Wicked look's good

#3 j3tman Dec 31, 2012 08:41 PM

Yeah things my favorite jet design of all time!

#4 DanSavage Jan 02, 2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3tman (Post 23670509)
Ribs?
-The plane has a 36in wingspan and I have the ribs setup with 3 inches of space between them. Is that too much? Should i have more ribs in my wing?

-I was planing on cutting the ribs out of 1/16 balsa. Should I move up in size and use 1/8?

3" rib spacing is normal.

1/16" balsa is fine for the ribs.

#5 j3tman Jan 02, 2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanSavage (Post 23692427)
3" rib spacing is normal.

1/16" balsa is fine for the ribs.

Thank you! I think it looks pretty proportional if you ask me and will hopefully keep the weight down.

I will soon be ordering the carbon rods, strips, foam, and making a trip to the hobby store to get all the balsa. Then I will be able to start cutting out all of the pieces and putting this plane together. I do imagine that I will probably take me awhile to fully build the plane due to school and sports but atleast it will get my mind off those things :rolleyes:

Once the build starts I will be posting lots of pics and maybe some videos of my progress.

Last thing, this is going to just be the prototype. If it fly's then great but if it doesnt then no sweat and back to the drawing board.

#6 LuvEvolution7 Jan 02, 2013 10:24 PM

if you want a rudder(s), you can control one side only with a single servo and then use a torque tube between rudders to drive the other side. imagine the ailerons on a biplane to give you an idea. two servos on the tail is better and lighter than three servos. :)

Rich

#7 j3tman Jan 03, 2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 (Post 23695008)
if you want a rudder(s), you can control one side only with a single servo and then use a torque tube between rudders to drive the other side. imagine the ailerons on a biplane to give you an idea. two servos on the tail is better and lighter than three servos. :)

Rich

I was thinking about doing something along those lines so I dont have to have two servos controlling the rudder. Do you think the the tube/rod connecting the rudders would ruin any of the thrust output?

#8 LuvEvolution7 Jan 03, 2013 05:02 PM

if you keep the rod close to the elevator surface, I think you'll be ok. or perhaps somehow have the rod above the elevator surface. I wouldn't worry about it too much. the only problem I could see you having, is if the rod material isn't very strong and flexes under load from flight stresses and/or efflux pressure. I'de use CF rod, Aluminum or both. another option to consider is rod shape. a teardrop shape is going to be much better than a round shape. blunt edge facing forwards. :)

Rich

#9 j3tman Jan 03, 2013 06:24 PM

You are the master at this stuff. I will look into all of those suggestions.

#10 aero1960 Jan 15, 2013 09:56 AM

I would look at your final weight/thrust. You might have to move up to a 70 EDF to power it.
Make sure you strengthen the tail end for mine ended up fluttering due to the combine EDF flow and forward speed.
Did not install rudders and it flies well in gusty winds. This came about by playing with the CG.

#11 invertmast Jan 15, 2013 03:54 PM

for the rudder I would put the rudder servo in the center of the wing/fuse and then just run a flexible pushrod out the fuselage to each boom and then down the center of the boom and have it pop out the sides before the rudder LE and connect to the rudder via a conventional control arm. simple and slop free

#12 Boogie_ Jan 15, 2013 07:36 PM

Good lookin' design.

Here's my 2‬.
The LE on the airfoil is way too sharp. Will make for a twitchy elevator.

I would put two servos on the elev, one on each side. No elev twisting with that set up.
And a servo on each rudder.

The two extra servos weigh less than an ounce together. I would bet all the extra push rods and would be the same weight.

#13 j3tman May 19, 2013 01:11 PM

Building Time

11 Attachment(s)
Well I've started the build!!!!

Check it out:

Also I would you y'all you keep this in mind, this is only my prototype and using this build as a experiment on how i would like to build future planes.

#14 j3tman May 19, 2013 04:49 PM

Vertical Stabs and Beginning Ribs

5 Attachment(s)
Built the vertical stabs and also started on the ribs for the main wing.

#15 CoolerByTheLake May 19, 2013 05:03 PM

Starting to take shape.:)

It would be nice if you put captions on the photos!;) Nice to know what each is.