RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk
        Discussion Wemo minifan no spinner a big loss?

#1 Stuey Dec 30, 2012 05:30 AM

Wemo minifan no spinner a big loss?

Hi guys I have just finished mounting a minifan in my 64mm F-15. I ran it up briefly on 3s to check the direction before fixing it in. Now it is glued in with the ali spinner I have checked it again with a full power run up on 4s. At about 1/3 throttle there is a slight vibration but is smooth through the rest of the range. I noticed the spinner does not look true when spinning slowly, and there is slight run out on the fixing screw head. Will I lose out much by leaving it off? It was very hard to push onto the rotor and is fitted ok as far as I can see.

#2 D_FAST Dec 30, 2012 06:08 AM

have you tried spinning the spinner 20* until that goes away.

#3 Stuey Dec 30, 2012 06:36 AM

I would try that but the spinner is so difficult to seat it would take forever. I have had the same problem with fitting the spinner with one of my other minifans so left it off.

#4 tom bacsanyi Dec 30, 2012 08:40 AM

This has been investigated by me and others. Expect a static thrust loss of 3 to 5%.

#5 Stuey Dec 31, 2012 03:32 AM

I found a new spinner which I must have ordered seperately some time ago now. It looks to have a better quality machine finish on the inside, and the countersunk hole for the fixing screw is deeper meaning the screw fits in better. I fitted that one and gave it a run this morning and it was much better. Still a very slight vibration at 1/4 throttle, but completely smooth through the rest of the range. As it is awkward to remove to try turning it looking for complete perfection, I am happy to run it as is. Thanks for the input :)

#6 ravikoth Dec 31, 2012 03:52 AM

I am flying Mine since over a year with no spinner, flies perfect no thrust loss at all.
Mine slipped off and tore the duct, i then removed the EDF and reinstalled the same. not an iota of difference. (To me)