RC Groups

RC Groups
    Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems
        Build Log Teenager

#1 stegla Dec 28, 2012 12:26 PM

Teenager

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

I'm starting a new build. It is a sports model that it is a little bit different to the usual 'Bandit' shape. Indeed it is a cross between a F15 and a F16 hence the name 'Teenager'.

So far I've made the intake ducting and the fuselage. The fuselage is moulded balsa around a foam plug. The balsa is soaked in ammonia and held in place with elastic bands until dry.

I need this model to test a 5 and 6 cell high power 40mm system.

Steve

#2 pdawg Dec 28, 2012 03:56 PM

Cool construction method Stegla. How long do you leave the wood wrapped in rubber bands? Looking forward to seeing this take shape!

#3 stegla Dec 28, 2012 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdawg (Post 23643907)
Cool construction method Stegla. How long do you leave the wood wrapped in rubber bands? Looking forward to seeing this take shape!

It only took a few hours in front of a log fire. Next up is to introduce some shape into 1/64 ply doublers.

steve

#4 lord chris Dec 29, 2012 06:14 AM

got any sketches/pics of what its going to look like? looks like a cool project. im trying to picture a f15/16 cross :P

#5 stegla Dec 29, 2012 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lord chris (Post 23649113)
got any sketches/pics of what its going to look like? looks like a cool project. im trying to picture a f15/16 cross :P

Chris..........I'll take a photo of the working drawings.

For now the wing shape is this...........

#6 stegla Dec 29, 2012 08:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The fuselage was made from 3/32 balsa as said earlier soaked in ammonia. The ammonia softens the wood and makes it pliable. Nevertheless you still have to cut 'darts' in the wood to remove excess material at the nose and tail.

Foaming 'Gorilla' glue was used to stick the ply doubler. The glue was spread onto the ply with a credit-card to get a thin, even layer.

Steve

#7 stegla Dec 30, 2012 05:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It should look like this..............

#8 stegla Dec 30, 2012 02:23 PM

Was hoping that this esc might allow me to test 5 and 6s setups? It doesn't seem to work properly at all?:( bit of a rip-off I think?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ller_2_6s.html

Steve

#9 stegla Jan 01, 2013 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Little bit of progress.

One wing glassed and the canopy made.

Steve

#10 robertboxhoorn Jan 02, 2013 01:03 AM

Yeah.... I don't know what to say about this jet.... Should work like your others but its not my type of designing :(

#11 stegla Jan 02, 2013 08:14 AM

Robert, it should start to take shape over the next few days and maybe the design will start to make sense?

The idea of this project is.............
1) make a different shape sport model
2) make it easy to change fan-units
3)play with high cell counts and low current
4)show some different scratch building techniques
5)showcase a scratch-built model instead of an artf foamy.
6)the model should have a proper wing-section and a proper duct and weigh about 14oz.

I have toyed with similar models in the past and they seemed to fly ok. Now that technology has caught up, namely 2.4G and Lipos, it might be worth a second look?
Steve

#12 stegla Jan 03, 2013 09:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The wings are joined and the tail group is almost ready for bagging.

#13 Bare Jan 03, 2013 03:22 PM

Few ESC's will do 5S+ AND have an onboard ESC Certainly not for $11 :D
As you have inadvertently discovered.
Besides that one at a claimed 38 grams is seriously heavy.. just to add insult to injury.

#14 stegla Jan 04, 2013 05:29 AM

Indeed, the phoenix 30A hv is lighter and probably the only choice here.

I'm going to use an Aircraftworld DIY motor that I'm afraid is no longer available. However, the motor is still produced as the Hyperion P1913 and the 'M' suffixed motors have only 4 magnets, this alows for high rpm applications.

http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d...p19/p19all.htm

Steve

#15 stegla Jan 04, 2013 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the motor

Both the motor and the fan was balanced. Then the two were 'clocked' to find the sweet spot. The white paint blobs are for future reference.

The motor is wound as 9T 'Wye' with the magnets arranged NNSSNNSS