RC Groups

RC Groups
    Car Talk
        Discussion RC car crystals

#1 Kevin D. Dec 19, 2012 03:27 PM

RC car crystals

Hi, Im new to the RC cars and trying to learn about crystals etc. What I have is a buggy that has a Jr 75mhz receiver and I have a futaba remote for it. They have 75.850 mhz AM channel 83 crystals and works good. I recently bought a spare Jr remote and cant get it to work with the buggy. It has a 75.790 mhz crystal in it. What do I need to do to get it working with my other receiver? Just change the crystals out to 75.790 AM? Do they have to be a certain brand crystal? Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 wparsons Dec 20, 2012 10:26 AM

To be honest, you're better off upgrading to 2.4ghz. A new set of crystals is about $10-$15, so you're not spending much more to get a better system.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/fs-g2-24ghz-radio.html

or

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

I've used both, and unless you want to use the same transmitter for multiple cars the cheaper one will work just great.

#3 Kevin D. Dec 20, 2012 10:35 PM

Thanks, I will check into that. I was hoping I could find a used set just for a spare but I will still look into it.

#4 wparsons Dec 21, 2012 10:35 AM

I went through hell trying to find used crystals for a friend, in the end it was cheaper and easier to just get one of those 2.4ghz systems, even though he had a working transmitter and receiver and just needed crystals.

#5 OldNick Dec 23, 2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 23585842)
i went through hell trying to find used crystals for a friend, in the end it was cheaper and easier to just get one of those 2.4ghz systems, even though he had a working transmitter and receiver and just needed crystals.

+1 +1 +1 At Tx /Rx set is so cheap they are not worth minutes of your time. <$50 at worst.

#6 HoosierGuy Dec 24, 2012 02:21 AM

I might check out those 2.4ghz systems in Januray. Can you get waterproof receivers to use with those 2.4ghz systems?