RC Groups

RC Groups
    Control Line
        Discussion Pacifier Source: Found

#1 LA Ming Dec 16, 2012 07:45 PM

Pacifier Source: Found
 
Hi All!

Those in need of baby pacifiers to use as bladders for their vintage combat planes: Check out the baby section at your local Wal Mart. "Gerber" has one that is VERY usable. It is non-orthodonic (those mal-formed things that were foisted on the baby world for decades), very thick, and overall excellent quality. Comes in a 2 pack for less than $3.

Finding these Gerber pacifiers means my Super Satan can go back into the air if'n I want to!

#2 Gnu4FF Dec 16, 2012 09:03 PM

Thanks! I'll definitely check this out.

#3 tigreflyer Dec 16, 2012 11:24 PM

It's been 37 years since I used pacifiers, but if I remember some pacifiers just won't work. The old 2 piece Binkys was my favorite. I used them in aluminum snack pack cans. I can't remember the fuel volume. How much fuel did we put in pacifiers?

#4 Gnu4FF Dec 17, 2012 12:08 AM

They're a little lower in pressure than surgical tubing bladders, I think.

#5 LA Ming Dec 17, 2012 05:39 AM

These are two piece like the old Binky's... but the rubber bulb is heavier and will have more pressure than a Binky. I think I recall using these some 12 years ago when I was last flying my vintage pacifier airplanes and they worked great. Was glad to see they're still available.

#6 aspeed Dec 18, 2012 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I still have about a dozen left over from about 30 years ago, they are a bit darker but look ok still. I never even used them. I think the new thing now is the Little Red Cap. It is a small kitten sized condom like balloon for capping caulking tubes. I just used one for that, and the caulking was still great after three or four months, not even a little bit dry. It is more for 1/2A sized planes and is much lower pressure than pacifiers or bladders. Lee Valley Tools is the only place I know that carries them. $5 for 20 or so.

#7 LA Ming Dec 18, 2012 09:11 PM

Being lower pressure, those would likely be great for a 35 Stunt on pressure w/stock NVA.

#8 tigreflyer Dec 18, 2012 09:37 PM

How much fuel can one of these hold?

#9 aspeed Dec 18, 2012 11:02 PM

I just tried one and got 3 oz of water in. There looked like a bit more room. About 2" dia.

#10 Bob Mears Dec 19, 2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspeed (Post 23565677)
I just tried one and got 3 oz of water in. There looked like a bit more room. About 2" dia.

3oz. is all I put in a F2D. Does it blow up long or round?

#11 Bob Mears Dec 19, 2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigreflyer (Post 23547484)
It's been 37 years since I used pacifiers, but if I remember some pacifiers just won't work. The old 2 piece Binkys was my favorite. I used them in aluminum snack pack cans. I can't remember the fuel volume. How much fuel did we put in pacifiers?

If I recall right, they would only hold about 3 oz. And Pop filled them up with an old fuel bulb. I couldnt fill one up as a kid. I dont know when the syringes came into play, but that a LOT easier than a fuel bulb!

#12 Bob Mears Dec 19, 2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspeed (Post 23564153)
I still have about a dozen left over from about 30 years ago, they are a bit darker but look ok still. I never even used them. I think the new thing now is the Little Red Cap. It is a small kitten sized condom like balloon for capping caulking tubes. I just used one for that, and the caulking was still great after three or four months, not even a little bit dry. It is more for 1/2A sized planes and is much lower pressure than pacifiers or bladders. Lee Valley Tools is the only place I know that carries them. $5 for 20 or so.

Here's their web site http://www.littleredcap.com/Location...ACE%20Link.htm

Local ACE dont have them and wont order them. Went to ebay (man mall) found 35 for 9.97 + 4.95 shipping. Will be giving them a shot. Thanks for the great idea!

#13 tigreflyer Dec 19, 2012 06:55 PM

I filled a Binky's with a brake fluid pump-it pumped 1 ounce per push and lasted 5 or 6 gallons before it gave up.

#14 Gnu4FF Dec 19, 2012 11:59 PM

The lifespan of this type of fuel system does in part depend on the nitro percent being used. At 40% they weaken fairly soon, probably won't last a day. I dropped a third max with a lean run finding this out.

#15 aspeed Dec 20, 2012 08:01 AM

The red cap is pretty thin and isn't good for much more than a week, I think I read somewhere. It is the shape of an egg in the one I tried. There is a little nipple on the end that looks like it could go a bit bigger, but I didn't want my face full to try another ounce. I hate when a Hardware store lists things in their catalogue and doesn't have any in stock. It is worse when they won't even order it for you, and then charge $5 to ship it. It did say you could ship it to your local store on the link.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.