RC Groups

RC Groups
    Indoor Pattern/F3P
        Discussion Can you recommend a 25" span ARF/RTF Pattern ship?

#1 sothpaw Dec 16, 2012 01:30 PM

Can you recommend a 25" span ARF/RTF Pattern ship?

Hi,

I have a small public park/field near me. It would be very convenient...if I could find something fun to fly there I could get a flight before/after work.

I used to fly a Kaos 10 years ago...it was great w/unlimited vertical and it would knife edge forever. I used to knife-edge that plane for a full tank of gas, 15-20 min.

Can you recommend a foamy Pattern ship that would feel like the Kaos (or even more precise), knife edge, with lots of vertical? I'd prefer a plug-and-play deal so I could just supply Rx and batteries but I have no objection to an ARF as long as it's light (want that vertical ability!!). Also, I hate doing hinges...must be factory hinged.

I have tried the little 15" span Sukohi and I think that's just too small...I can't seem to get it to fly. I'd like something in the 22-30" span range. It could be foamy(preferred) or balsa/ultracoat.

Thanks for your help!!

Andy

#2 356Jim Dec 19, 2012 12:44 PM

If you're willing to build your own from scratch, go to the Indoor and Micro forum and search for my "140 Percent UMX Extra 300 ** NOW WITH VIDEO ** " thread.

This plane retains all of the great flying characteristics of the stock UMX Extra 300, but I enlarged the dimensions to 22 inch WS, which lowered the flying speed to about 80% of the original. Knife edge, inside and outside loops, etc. are easy. However, snap rolls are a bit too trying for a depron/mylar structure - so stick to the slower Pattern-type maneuvers and you'll be happy.

My original plane was converted to use an AS3X version of the ar6400, but a strong gust of wind blasted it into a tree. All that could be salvaged was the equipment, so after the holidays I am going to build a new airframe for it. I will post a build thread over there and a link to it here.

Another suggestion is the Vision3D by [URL="featherlightrc.com/kits/vision-3d.html"]featherlightrc.com/kits/vision-3d.html[/URL it flies as slow as Alexi Lantsov's or Donatas' planes.

#3 wayfaringdreamer Dec 19, 2012 12:52 PM

Not really a pattern plane but the crack yak mini (24 inch wingspan, hinged already) might be fun for you: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786763

#4 foamlvr Dec 19, 2012 08:20 PM

If you are going to fly out doors, a depron plane will get beat up pretty quick. You will get a lot more flying out of an Epp foamy.

#5 sothpaw Jan 07, 2013 11:04 PM

Thanks guys! I'm going to try Horizon's Edge 540 QQQ and see how that goes.
It's about the right wing loading for the small areas I have that are soooo convenient. I'll get a larger electric pattern plane for my club field.