RC Groups

RC Groups
    Vintage & Old-Timer Designs
        Discussion Sal Taibi

#1 Leadchucker Dec 15, 2012 09:33 PM

Sal Taibi

We've lost another old timer today. Sal Taibi, designer of the such famous models as the Powerhouse,Hornet,Brooklyn Dodger,Starduster and others passed away per the SCAMPS FB page. He was 92. Happy flying Sal, you will be missed.

Short autobiography from the AMA site :https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/TaibiSal.pdf

#2 vintagemxr Dec 15, 2012 10:02 PM

I'm very sorry to read the news about Sal Taibi. No doubt his classic designs will continue to be built for many years to come. Rest in peace, Mr. Taibi.

#3 Moeregaard Dec 15, 2012 10:36 PM

Sorry to hear this, but he did have a good run. The Powerhouse has always been on my short list of projects. Maybe it's time to dig out the plans....

#4 williame3590 Dec 16, 2012 08:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
A true icon of modelling history. I have a friend who has just passed as well and he had met Sal many times.

Bill

#5 Lowrider1960 Dec 16, 2012 05:25 PM

Very sad news indeed. I was honored to meet Sal at several SAM Champs in the 90's, he was always friendly and one of the true legends of FF. Was so cool to see him drive up in his vintage Chevy each morning, set up his stuff and be ready to fly the moment the contest began. His models flew well and could max in still air, so he usually had his flights in for an event while many were still getting ready.

The Powerhouse and Brooklyn Dodger are my favorite old timer designs and I cant recall all the Stardusters I built and flew over the years, wonderful designs all.

#6 Raymond-leflyr Dec 24, 2012 10:37 AM

M.A.N. Cover

1 Attachment(s)
I knew I had this somewhere.

By the way, I've never been sure who to pronounce his name. Can anyone help?

#7 Norm Furutani Dec 24, 2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond-leflyr (Post 23609108)
I knew I had this somewhere.

By the way, I've never been sure who to pronounce his name. Can anyone help?

We pronounced it "tay-bee", but this could be incorrect! He was always just "Sal".

- Norm

#8 brokenspar Dec 24, 2012 03:05 PM

Sorry to hear of this. We've lost another great one.

#9 Luckyducky Dec 29, 2012 12:51 AM

Sal was one of the great designers and flyers who inspired me during my early years at Taft. The stability of his Starduster 900 led me to a C gas national record and he was always available to help and assist other competitors. I can still see him driving up in his 56 chevy.

#10 PHIL PEARCE Dec 29, 2012 07:02 PM

Sal T.

I met Sal at more than one meet at Taft, CA. and at SAM Champs. He was always very friendly and helpful. I showed him my "Toothbrush motor powered" original design, old timer style plane and he signed the wing for me. RIP Sal. Pepflyer

#11 Fly_electric2 Dec 30, 2012 07:10 PM

A great loss. He was one of the great designers in this hobby.
May have to rearrange my present build queue of planes for Real Flight and put in one of his planes.

#12 Fly_electric2 Jan 13, 2013 12:46 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Set aside a little time to work on a tribute Powerhouse for RF. Still a little rough, but getting there. No colors yet, but will post it to the KE swaps page with those of the original. Color schemes can be later edited by anyone who downloads the plane to their personal preference. The Powerhouse will come in two versions of power plant: the present electric one and with an ignition engine. There is sufficient information available to model the Forster 99. Information on the specifications of that engine would be appreciated. An example of the what will be needed is in the last picture.

Thanks

#13 JackHiner Jan 13, 2013 02:28 PM

Powerhouse

1 Attachment(s)
Glen Poole's full size Powerhouse with electric power. Jack

#14 Leadchucker Jan 13, 2013 08:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My Powerhouse with Forster .99 before a minor resto last year in pic, second photo in from the Sal Taibi Fun Fly posted on the SCAMPS FB page.

#15 Fly_electric2 Jan 17, 2013 09:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jack, Leadchucker,

Nice looking planes! Could both of you post some more details on each of them,such as AUW, motor/battery/prop, and prop on the Forster? Some close up shots of the nose sections of each would also be appreciated.
Changed the elevator on RF Powerhouse, both on the visible model and physics, so it's now a better match to your planes. Also got a some good info from the nice people at Trexler on the profile shape of their wheels, so that will be corrected too.

Thanks