RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk
        Contest '70mm class EDF Speed Cup Challenge'

#1 ApexAero Dec 08, 2012 06:50 PM

'70mm class EDF Speed Cup Challenge'

'70mm class EDF Speed Cup Challenge'
A speed competition with no airframe restrictions

Rule #1: Anything goes in an attempt to make your EDF Jet go 200 mph.
Modified stock airframe or one design scratch built airframe, refer to rule #1
Landing gear or belly slider, refer to rule #1
If you guys want to ad twins possibly as another class to the 70mm then lets do it

Prefer the airframe be carefully built as best possible by the builder to withstand the forces and pressure at triple digit speeds, motor torque and battery weight.
Multiple attempts allowed as well as multiple airframes.

Speed video should be clean and free of talk and IC noise as possible.
.wav sound file would be extracted of best passes left and right for averaging speed. Temperature is needed for the flight day.

Speed to be determined by a Wavoscope Doppler type program. By myself and or seconded by others for consensual assessment and agreement of speed. (to those concerned as to any qualifications to Doppler a video by me, not to worry, I have the time and a firm unbiased opinion of performing the duties with diligence and have been an AMA member for a very long time)

Leader board as of 2-26-2014
1st NEW RECORD!!! avg is 189.6mph for the Ergo jet of ApexAero 3-1-14
2nd Place is Team HabuBurners with avg speed of 186mph
3rd Place fh64_Lucky with avg speed of 185mph
4th
5th

#2 jcdfrd Dec 08, 2012 07:14 PM

I would think anything in the 200-299mph would qualify in the 200mph Cup Challenge....right......its when you go over 300mph that you are disqualified:p;)

#3 Knife Liddle Dec 08, 2012 07:16 PM

BuuuYaaa, baby! I`m ready to cut some balsa.

#4 Knife Liddle Dec 08, 2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcdfrd (Post 23477860)
I would think anything in the 200-299mph would qualify in the 200mph Cup Challenge....right......its when you go over 300mph that you are disqualified:p;)

Good point, I`ll look into an rpm limiter so that I don`t break out.;)

#5 ApexAero Dec 08, 2012 07:20 PM

I just finagled a 160hv today for a secrete project

#6 murdnunoc Dec 08, 2012 07:22 PM

Yep all those 300mph 70mm jets need to go somewhere else. Don't even bother here! We're a classy bunch with no tolerance for crazies.

This is exciting! What a way for me to break into EDF's :rolleyes:

I'm all in. :cool:

Thanks for heading this up, ApexAero! :)

#7 murdnunoc Dec 08, 2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAero (Post 23477901)
I just finagled a 160hv today for a secrete project

I just did something to my 160HV today that started with an F. But it wasn't finagled. :(

Digging it out of the Spear now to see if I can figure out what caused it, but hopes aren't high.
It wasn't running even close to out of spec (122A) so I'm thinking my as-yet untarnished soldering has been the culprit, as I resoldered new motor leads to the board. We shall see...

Edit: Well, it's a little bigger mystery than that. This wasn't the one I resoldered. :confused:
But there is nasty gunk spattered all on the inside of the ESC, so something went wrong... will let Castle figure it out.
But at least my soldering reputation stays intact! :D :o

#8 Double E Dec 08, 2012 08:53 PM

I suggest someone mounting a high efflux speed fan in a pod on top of an electric pylon racer like the Viper, Jibe, or Swist. Those airframes are incredibly efficient.

#9 efflux RC Dec 08, 2012 11:29 PM

[QUOTE=ApexAero;23477686Speed video should be clean and free of talk and IC noise as possible.
.wav sound file would be extracted of best passes left and right for averaging speed. [I]Temperature is needed for the flight day.[/I] [/QUOTE/]

The ambient temperature..... at the time of flight..... at the flight location needs to be recorded. Not high temp for the day :)

Higher temps increase the doppler analysis speed result.

#10 capt soap Dec 08, 2012 11:33 PM

Good, he didnt say anything about rocket assited 70mm .:D:D:D

#11 ApexAero Dec 09, 2012 12:46 AM

Capt, the sparks denote its location like a marker flare upon crashing!

#12 LuvEvolution7 Dec 09, 2012 12:59 AM

so, should we have a thermometer present for our speed runs, that is clearly a part of the video and should be clearly seen on the shot just before the flight? is that fair? sounds like it to me, so that someone can't gain an advantage by giving an incorrect temp.

#13 murdnunoc Dec 09, 2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 (Post 23479926)
so, should we have a thermometer present for our speed runs, that is clearly a part of the video and should be clearly seen on the shot just before the flight? is that fair? sounds like it to me, so that someone can't gain an advantage by giving an incorrect temp.

What if your field is in the sun? :(
Have to go with a weather report from a reputable source then.

#14 ApexAero Dec 09, 2012 01:38 AM

I have a weather app keyed to my local area on the phone, the temp is usually from the airport. The phone's gps doesn't have the temp data. Before I got the phone there were friends that always had one.

#15 LuvEvolution7 Dec 09, 2012 02:28 AM

my point is that I could say anything I like, knowing it'll change the outcome of the test. so shouldn't we somehow have to provide an accurate way of showing the temp at the time of the flight. just figured having a thermometer might be easier for some folks. if the sun is out, then obviously it's gonna affect the reading, but if you take it in the shade, it's gonna be a bit more accurate than in direct sunlight. I'm not suggesting that it's the best solution, just suggesting that there be a solution that is best for everyone that is also accurate for testing purposes. :)