RC Groups

RC Groups
    ROV - Remotely Operated Vehicles
        Discussion ESC fow/rev code

#1 f111 Dec 07, 2012 05:43 PM

ESC fow/rev code

Hey has anyone ever seen home made code for the atmel controlled unidirectional BLDC ESC's that allows fow/rev ? something like 1mS =full reverse, 1.4mS-1.6mS=stop, 2mS=full foward. no brake delays or anything like that. the reason i ask is because unidirectional esc's cost way less than bi directional ones. even though the fets are assembled in the same manner.

#2 HoverX Dec 13, 2012 03:02 PM

This would be a dream come true.
There seems to be a few people able to mess with esc code. Unfortunately, most of them are quadrotor addicts, not ROVS.

#3 hargard Dec 21, 2012 07:18 AM

Hi.
You cannot use standard ESC's (Forward only) and program them for multi direction.
They have a compleatley different electronicks inside.
What language are you using or thinking of using ?? I.E. "C++" or "Arduiono" Basic.
There are ways of making your own.##'###
Better of buying some from E-Bay Item number :- 230837016803 320 Amp For Brushed motors or Item Number :- 180582675073 30 Amp for Brushless motors.

Regards Hargard.

#4 nick_75au Jan 03, 2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hargard (Post 23584561)
Hi.
You cannot use standard ESC's (Forward only) and program them for multi direction.
They have a compleatley different electronicks inside.
What language are you using or thinking of using ?? I.E. "C++" or "Arduiono" Basic.
There are ways of making your own.##'###
Better of buying some from E-Bay Item number :- 230837016803 320 Amp For Brushed motors or Item Number :- 180582675073 30 Amp for Brushless motors.

Regards Hargard.

Brushless escs are the same electronically for forward and reverse, a brushless esc only changes the order of the motor drive pulses to change direction.

There are plenty of cheap escs with reverse now, check out the Hobbyking car and boat escs, 30 amp for $15, a bit more than a plane esc of equivalent rating but for $15 its not worth the hassle.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...w_Reverse.html

This one works exactly as you want (with no brake) straight out of the box:)

Nick

#5 Aeroeng92 Nov 11, 2013 06:46 AM

I've had good success using the HobbyKing Blue Series brushless controllers (various amp sizes) and re-flashing them with the SimonK firmware. This firmware has specific compile options that allow a brushless esc to be set up with proportional foreword and reverse control, and no braking if so desired. The following link is what I primarily followed to do this.

http://www.rchacker.com/diy/simonk-e...mware-flashing