RC Groups

RC Groups
    Multirotor Talk
        Discussion Conventional Hex or Y6?

#1 GordonTarling Dec 06, 2012 06:40 AM

Conventional Hex or Y6?

OK, I'm looking at a new copter using a Naza and GPS, primarily with the intention of carrying a Panasonic compact camera. I was originally planning to go with the DJI Flamewheel hex frame, but it struck me, from reading on this forum, that a single ESC or motor failure on a conventional Hex type is very likely to lead to a crash. I'm wondering if using the same equipment, but in a Y6 type is less likely to crash in case of a similar failure. So, I suppose the real question here is, will a Y6 still be flyable with one motor not running?

#2 MCrites Dec 06, 2012 09:14 AM

They both are still flyable assuming your 5 remaining motors can handle the weight used to be controlled by 6. Y6 are a lot more controllable if your weight is ok when their is a failure though.

#3 Jeffem62 Dec 06, 2012 09:49 AM

Hex.
Y6 did not give sufficient flight time when loaded down and I am at high altitude here in El Paso.

#4 GordonTarling Dec 06, 2012 11:52 AM

OK, thanks for your opinions chaps. I can see that the lower props on a Y6 will always be working in the downwash of the upper props and that this could lead to vibes etc., but I can also see that the Y6 is going to be more controllable if a motor should stop in flight. I guess it's all down to a series of compromises, as always!

#5 Jeffem62 Dec 06, 2012 11:56 AM

Some are getting good results with the Y6, and say its smoother in flight. I think you will have vibration issues with any multi, just need to make sure you have good isolation to the Gimbal.

#6 MCrites Dec 06, 2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonTarling (Post 23457472)
OK, thanks for your opinions chaps. I can see that the lower props on a Y6 will always be working in the downwash of the upper props and that this could lead to vibes etc., but I can also see that the Y6 is going to be more controllable if a motor should stop in flight. I guess it's all down to a series of compromises, as always!

You wont see anymore vibes because of the coax design of a Y6. You will however find they are a bit less efficient. The trade off is they are MUCH smoother in the wind and for that reason I will be moving from a flat hex to a Y6 on my main machine.

#7 GordonTarling Dec 08, 2012 10:11 AM

I've ordered a Y6 frame and will give it a try. I can just swap everything over to a hex if I don't like it for any reason.

#8 MCrites Dec 08, 2012 10:33 AM

Yeah frames are cheap it's the motors, ESCs and flight controllers that cost money.