RC Groups

RC Groups
    Off-road Cars
        Question T-Maxx Classic 2.5 TX?

#1 Colbyntx Dec 04, 2012 10:31 PM

T-Maxx Classic 2.5 TX?

I have an old T-Maxx 2.5 classis with the old 27Mhz raido witht the 3' foot antenna! :) I want to upgrade to the 2.4 system but am not sure what TX/RX I need to buy. There are a ton of them on ebay and maybe here. 2ch & 3ch that say they fit T-Maxx? Anybody who's knows which radio system I need, please chime in. I also could upgrade my servos as they are old and weak. I also thought I saw a RX rechargable battery pack sometime back but can't find it now. Tired of buying AA's all the time.

Thanks!

#2 SoloProFan Dec 05, 2012 04:34 AM

For driving a 2 channel will do nicely. What radio you should get depends upon your other requirements. Should you consider boats or planes/ helis later on, you could be better of with a stick transmitter, since it's well possible to drive a car with stick transmitter, but pretty impossible to fly a plane with a pistol-grip type transmitter...

And we need to know your budget.

#3 traxx de maxx Dec 05, 2012 05:39 AM

If you have reverse you'll need a 3 channel. The easiest way is to count how many plugs are plugged into your current receiver and thats what you'll need.
Having more channels on the radio is no problem, have to few and you could have problems.

#4 SoloProFan Dec 05, 2012 08:04 AM

Didn't realise it was a gas powered truck. For electric motor 2 channels will suffice though. But more is no problem.

#5 Colbyntx Dec 05, 2012 08:29 AM

Yeah, I have driven cars/trucks on my sim with a stick but I like the wheel. I have a couple Dx7s TX's I fly my planes and heli's with, just want to update my nitro truck. I was looking more at the "take offs" that some guys and shops are pulling off new trucks to upgrade to racing buggies. I don't have any desire to get crazy with this truck just get it to 2.4.

#6 SoloProFan Dec 05, 2012 09:08 AM

If you already have Spectrum a DX3 seems like a logical choice.

#7 cenracer1 Dec 05, 2012 09:19 AM

I run the DX3.0 on my maxx at the moment but I pruchased a Flysky 3 channel combo for something around $35 shipped and it works very well.. if you are looking for inexpensive this is a great way to go.. just about any 3 channel 2.4 rx/tx will work.. much better than the old am ones.

#8 wparsons Dec 05, 2012 11:11 AM

Does the old Tmaxx 2.5 have reverse? Is it a separate channel, or activated by hitting full reverse?

#9 Colbyntx Dec 05, 2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 23447776)
Does the old Tmaxx 2.5 have reverse? Is it a separate channel, or activated by hitting full reverse?

Yes, they have reverse. It has a red switch on the TX. After further inspection I see it is a 3ch truck. I have never had the RX box off until today! I bought this truck back around 2004!

#10 wparsons Dec 05, 2012 02:09 PM

The FlySky GT3B is probably the cheapest (and reliable) 3 channel system out there, and would work very well for you.