RC Groups

RC Groups
    Multi Task F3X
        Question ober winch users

#1 proppy jon Dec 02, 2012 08:04 PM

ober winch users

bought a ober winch from skip miller used it the first time at f3j in dec could some one explain the drum spacers(change diameter of drum) that come with the winch they spin on the drum id think they would wedge on with the end plate but when its tight the spin john

#2 tewatson Dec 02, 2012 09:51 PM

I use a few layers of blue masking tape across one end, positioned edge-to-edge so there are no bumps, and rotating subsequent layers so the seams criss-cross. Then use a sharp knife to trim away to the sleeve edges inside and out.

Tom

#3 satinet Dec 03, 2012 02:05 AM

Mine does it.... Seems to work okay though. They all do it from what I have seen.

#4 luvF3b Dec 03, 2012 02:26 AM

I have one too.

I didn't think the drum sleeve spinning was such a big issue. The drum end cap has 3 holes drilled at diameters matching the sleeves for attaching the line. If the line is attached using these, the drum sleeve is captured after several wraps of the line around the drum.

John

#5 cody303 Dec 03, 2012 10:25 AM

Hey Guys,

We just use a little masking tape like Tom does. The line does self lock the drums after the first layer of line gets on it.

Cody

#6 tewatson Dec 03, 2012 12:40 PM

The problem comes when tensioning the line with the brake off, to adjust the winch alignment or just straighten the line on the ground during use. When you let off the pedal and the drum spins backwards with a loose sleeve, the drum can actually spin faster than the sleeve...then you can end up with a real rats nest.

Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvF3b (Post 23426636)
I didn't think the drum sleeve spinning was such a big issue. The drum end cap has 3 holes drilled at diameters matching the sleeves for attaching the line. If the line is attached using these, the drum sleeve is captured after several wraps of the line around the drum.

#7 proppy jon Dec 03, 2012 01:27 PM

yes tom ober yesterday was a long day thanks for the reply
so i didnot tie line in end of drum i thought all the tension would be on the end i judt looped with a slip knot so ill cnc cut a thin piece of g10 for a spacerthat should do it do you guys tie to the end of the drumand the line does not fail??

#8 satinet Dec 03, 2012 01:51 PM

Attach the line through one of the holes in the end plate. I don't know what you mean about line failing tbh.

All the force does move to the free hanging end of the winch when the line is under tension at that end. That is a downside of the single sided winch i guess. Still works though.

Bear in mind the ober is the most common f3b winch out there. It works.

#9 proppy jon Dec 03, 2012 02:32 PM

breaking from the aluminum end plate cutting it sounds like this isnt happening

#10 jimsoars Dec 03, 2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proppy jon (Post 23430660)
breaking from the aluminum end plate cutting it sounds like this isnt happening

No - that is how I do it.
Jim

#11 stefanoc2 Dec 05, 2012 11:48 AM

Did you drill a new hole to pull the braided line throught the end of the drum? The hole for the mono is to small for the braided line.
Stefano

#12 Kiesling Dec 05, 2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefanoc2 (Post 23448125)
Did you drill a new hole to pull the braided line throught the end of the drum? The hole for the mono is to small for the braided line.
Stefano

I just tie a small piece of mono to the end of the braided line and feed that through the hole. The idea of modifying the Ober winch permanently for braided line somehow seems wrong to me . . .

Tom

#13 jimsoars Dec 05, 2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiesling (Post 23448191)
I just tie a small piece of mono to the end of the braided line and feed that through the hole. The idea of modifying the Ober winch permanently for braided line somehow seems wrong to me . . .

Tom

But it was not wrong to me - so that is what I did... :)
Jim

#14 tewatson Dec 05, 2012 12:29 PM

Egad...that would be like gluing Barbie arms on the Venus de Milo. We just tie a loop around the drum with a hitch so it locks under tension.

Tom

Quote:

Did you drill a new hole to pull the braided line throught the end of the drum?

#15 mlachow Dec 05, 2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Stefano

You start flying F3b and then you don't have any reason for braided line.:)