RC Groups

RC Groups
    Hacker Brushless
        Discussion BEC overload

#1 Sit-N-Fly Dec 02, 2012 09:15 AM

BEC overload

I have an X55 pro ESC. I'm using it on a plane with 5 Hitec 5245MG digital servos. No problems just sport flying, but if I 3D the plane and use the servos heavily, occasionally the ESC will go into LVC low power mode. If I quit yanking on the sticks (who, me?) the ESC recovers and I can fly normally again for several minutes without problem. Charging indicates that I haven't excessively drained the battery. Does the BEC cause the ESC to go to low power mode if it experiences an overload situation? Thanks for any replies.

#2 FL62 Dec 03, 2012 07:34 AM

Sit N Fly - Yes, the ESC will go into protection if the BEC is overloaded. 5 Digital servos are definitely capable of overloading a 5 amp BEC - especially if the linkages are setup for "3D Throws" and do not have any mechanical advantage (Is your servo horn longer than the control surface horn?)

#3 Sit-N-Fly Dec 03, 2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FL62 (Post 23427651)
Sit N Fly - Yes, the ESC will go into protection if the BEC is overloaded. 5 Digital servos are definitely capable of overloading a 5 amp BEC - especially if the linkages are setup for "3D Throws" and do not have any mechanical advantage (Is your servo horn longer than the control surface horn?)

I do have the linkages setup for 3D throws but have tried to maintain as much mechanical advantage as possible. I only run into problems when I transition from an elevator into a harrier. I have the ailerons reflexed slightly while I'm doing this to reduce wing rock. So, I've got four digital servos working fairly hard for awhile. I figured it was my bad for abusing the BEC. I'm assuming I should install a separate BEC if I plan on keeping this up? Lift the power pin from the receiver lead and I'm good to go? Thanks much for the reply, by the way.

#4 FL62 Dec 03, 2012 01:26 PM

I would go with something like a Castle BEC Pro or similar, and as you mentioned, remove the red wire from the ESC's servo lead.