RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sailboats
        Discussion Fairwind III by Kyosho

#1 lilleyen Dec 01, 2012 09:44 PM

Fairwind III by Kyosho
 
I just acquired a new Fairwind III.
I'm quite happy with it so far, but I learned to sail RC on a Nirvana and I'm a little spoiled by it so I'm making a few mods to the Fairwind to make it sail better.

I'll post pictures as I go along.

Tweaks:
Replacing the side stays with vinyl coated fishing leader wire and turnbuckles instead of bowsies.

Replacing stock sail with custom, almost stock sails, (no foot-rope on the main, loose footed)

Replacing radio with 2.4 radio.

Replacing sheet turnaround wire guide near the rudder control arm with a pulley.

Replacing the jib out-haul cleat with a grommet on the jib club for ease of adjustment.

Making a bracket to attach the forestay to the very end of the jib club.

Moving the jib swivel point on the jib club back to move the club forward so the jib leach clears the mast a bit more.

Separating the stay adjustment from the jib up-haul adjustment, so they are independent of each other.

Replacing most, (if not all), of the running rigging lines with 100# white Spectra line.
The factory lines are fabric coated nylon and are too stiff and kinky.

(Maybe) replacing vinyl printed planking on rear deck with real wood planking.

Find a skipper for the helm. (not so easy) 1/24 scale

Making a clear silicone bow bumper.

Replacing the open cell foam sealer around the hatch with something less likely to absorb water.

Replacing the bolted hatch arrangement with a something more practical.
Probably rare earth magnets. Works fine on my Nirvana.

Not so sure I need to (or even want to), secure the ballast with epoxy.
Am considering using plain old carpenters glue, should hold it just as well.
No fumes, no heat, easier to clean up after.
For that matter, why does it have to be glued in anyway?
Where can it go in the bottom of the keel? Might rattle a bit while handling it.
Anyone? :confused:

I like the bling, it stays!
It is a beautiful boat, and I won't be racing it anyway.
Looks gorgeous just sitting there, love the new fibreglass hull and gel coat finish.

Anyone who has had some experience with the FW III feel free to chime in with hints, critiques, whatever. :):popcorn:

#2 Chalupadrop Dec 02, 2012 06:12 AM

Glad to see this. Just received my Fairwind III yesterday and it is my first sailboat. Would be great if you could post pictures of your build as you go.

#3 mrpenguin Dec 02, 2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilleyen (Post 23416790)
.....Not so sure I need to (or even want to), secure the ballast with epoxy.
Am considering using plain old carpenters glue, should hold it just as well.
No fumes, no heat, easier to clean up after.
For that matter, why does it have to be glued in anyway?
Where can it go in the bottom of the keel? Might rattle a bit while handling it.
Anyone? :confused:

I use silicone wet area sealant for the keel - holds it well, will let go if you need it to...

#4 lilleyen Dec 02, 2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpenguin (Post 23418623)
I use silicone wet area sealant for the keel - holds it well, will let go if you need it to...

I'm familiar with siilcone sealant.
Is silicone wet area sealant different somehwo?

#5 mrpenguin Dec 02, 2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilleyen (Post 23424222)
I'm familiar with siilcone sealant.
Is silicone wet area sealant different somehwo?

Not sure, that is just what the product is called around here - it is a Selleys brand product..... It is intended for sealing round bathrooms, showers, that sort of thing - wet areas... (rather than silicone sealant that is intended for sealing glass etc) - there seem to be a good few variations....

#6 lilleyen Dec 02, 2012 08:03 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpenguin (Post 23424350)
Not sure, that is just what the product is called around here - it is a Selleys brand product..... It is intended for sealing round bathrooms, showers, that sort of thing - wet areas... (rather than silicone sealant that is intended for sealing glass etc) - there seem to be a good few variations....

Thanks mrpenguin, just happen to have a tube of that sitting around here somewhere, white.

I'll try and get some pictures posted tomorrow.

Made the boom vang today and fitted the new sails.
Did the wire stays and turnbuckles yesterday.

#7 Boomer1 Dec 02, 2012 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rick
I am really excited about your modifications to you new boat!! Really looking forward to seeing the pictures of the modifications!

I will begin making the upgrades we chatted about to mine as soon as I have all the parts assembled.

I am still impressed at the finish Kyosho has put on these new boats! Flawless seems a to fit!

Hope some of the guys that have had Fairwinds for a while will jump in with their input.

I posted a picture of your boat and mine sitting side by side. Wonder if anyone can see any differences?

Boomer

#8 BrushlesHeaven Dec 02, 2012 10:03 PM

Congrats!!!
Very good looking sailboat...
And same here, can not wait to see pictures or maybe videos....

#9 lilleyen Dec 03, 2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer1 (Post 23425331)
Rick
I am really excited about your modifications to you new boat!! Really looking forward to seeing the pictures of the modifications!

I will begin making the upgrades we chatted about to mine as soon as I have all the parts assembled.

I am still impressed at the finish Kyosho has put on these new boats! Flawless seems a to fit!

Hope some of the guys that have had Fairwinds for a while will jump in with their input.

I posted a picture of your boat and mine sitting side by side. Wonder if anyone can see any differences?

Boomer

I'd say it is the top one, with the red bumpers.

I'm sure John would have removed his. ;)

#10 lilleyen Dec 03, 2012 09:01 AM

New sails and rigging.
 
3 Attachment(s)
Some more pics, not too organized yet, I'll tweak it later.

Have to get ready to race my Nirvana against a fleet of Vics after lunch. :)

I can see where the main sheet could foul on the forward winches, so I'm thinking about securing a small length of clear juice box plastic straw to the bottom of the boom about midway, to run the lines through, so they don't sag onto the deck and catch on things. :(

That should fix it. ;)

As I said before, the bling stays! :D

Also that blue companionway is bugging me.
Going to have to do something "woody" about that. :)

#11 Boomer1 Dec 03, 2012 09:41 AM

6 Attachment(s)
The new sails look great and and should provide better results than the factory sails. The rigging screws look great too!

You are correct, the fenders are missing - there are a few other things to. I posted a few more pictures that show a few more differences :D

Would you mind posting some close ups of the new boom vang you made and provide a few measurements and list any parts you used to adapt it to your boat?

Included pictures of two of possible boom vangs I am hoping to adapt to my boat - hoping they are not too long. May have to make one up like yours. Not sure yet.
Thank you
Boomer:popcorn:

#12 lilleyen Dec 03, 2012 09:48 AM

Next step, main uphaul, using original mast cleats for adjustment.
Add ballast, install 2.4 radio and adjust sheets, "THEN", CA the assorted knots.

Also considering a small spring from a speed boat flex drive for a flag staff at stern, something that can take a few hard knocks in that vulnerable position.

Might spring mount (or silicone), that anchor on the bow too, for when it hits the side of the cement pond.
Careful as I might be, I have learned form experience with the Nirvana, that it will happen, it's not a question of "if".

Have to mount small pulley for jib line return inside hull.

Does anyone know what is the purpose of that clear plastic triangle projectiing forward on top of the radio box?

#13 lilleyen Dec 04, 2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chalupadrop (Post 23418555)
Glad to see this. Just received my Fairwind III yesterday and it is my first sailboat. Would be great if you could post pictures of your build as you go.

Glad for you chalupadrop, it's exciting getting your first sailboat.

This my second real RC sailboat.
My much loved Nirvana is my first.

I'll be posting mod pics and eventually sailing pics (although that might have to wait for spring unless we some weird freaky warm spells up here in Canada this winter).

#14 lilleyen Dec 04, 2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer1 (Post 23428392)
The new sails look great and and should provide better results than the factory sails. The rigging screws look great too!

You are correct, the fenders are missing - there are a few other things to. I posted a few more pictures that show a few more differences :D

Would you mind posting some close ups of the new boom vang you made and provide a few measurements and list any parts you used to adapt it to your boat?

Included pictures of two of possible boom vangs I am hoping to adapt to my boat - hoping they are not too long. May have to make one up like yours. Not sure yet.
Thank you
Boomer:popcorn:

I like the look of your vang, if it is the right length, go for it.

I measured the Du-bro "turnbuckle" fitting (#2156), that I used for my vang. It's 66 mm long and a 4-40 thread. I used Du-Bro 4-40 Heavy Duty Ball links #899 on the bottom end and for the main boom fitting.
The other end of the vang is a metal quick link.

The #2156 would have been too short as it was, hence the angled aluminum bracket where it attaches to the bottom of the mast fitting.
The angled bracket also make for a less stressed ball link attachment as it turned out.

I was also considering attaching the vang to the boom at first plastic attachment point on the boom (where the main sheet hooks on for the bowsie), but the plastic was too thick for a good fit with the quick-link and it was too far away.
So I made the new aluminum bracket with my Dremel tool and some needle files and pin vise drill. Worked out OK, I think. Time will tell.

#15 Boomer1 Dec 04, 2012 12:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks for that information. The vang I have is about 175mm long - I am thinking I can make it work by locating the back attachment point further aft on the boom. Playing around with that today to see if the geometry works out. Posted a few pictures that give you the general idea of how it might look in place. I can always cut the rod to a better length and re-thread it. It should work out ok. I like the look of this vang on the boat, so I guess that means I have to make fit.

I was looking for a pulley for the sheet line to replace the factories devise and found the item below at this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-10mm-...item337d13fd98


The Block is 10mm wide x 15mm long , 2mm Wide at the bracket
Swivel post is 8mm long, 1.5mm diameter and the deck spacer is 1mm High

Price is $16.00 USD free shipping -

The clip thingy in the boat is about 20mm long overal - hard to get my micrometer inside there. But this one should fit.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.