RC Groups

RC Groups
    1/2A Planes
        Build Log Plans for a fast .049 plane?

#1 boingk Nov 26, 2012 08:20 PM

Plans for a fast .049 plane?

Hey there guys, I'm in the process of mildly hotting up a die-cast case Cox .049 with a high comp head, Mylar reed valve and short mixture adjustment needle needle, and was wondering if there are any plans out there for a reasonably simple and fast plane for it.

Ideally it'd be able to be built in a weekend and wouldn't involve any serious balsa carving - I'm talking about a slab-sided zero-dihedral speedster here. I'm set up to put any sort or radio gear in it, too, from traditional Standard size servos right down to modern micro gear.

Any recommendations would be great, and this will be the build log once I've decided on a model.

Cheers - boingk

#2 NEW222 Nov 26, 2012 09:03 PM

May I suggest the Sig Hummer.

#3 Andrew0820 Nov 26, 2012 09:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Try here, post #43:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._2/key_/tm.htm

A GLH will probably be faster than the Hummer, especially if you drop the percentage on the airfoil.

If you're really adventurous, the attached pdf's will set you free.

#4 aeronca52 Nov 26, 2012 10:33 PM

An old link but it just worked for me. Although it shows a built up wing the Ace kit used a solid foam wing.

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/mach-none_cadplans.pdf

#5 Mark Winstanley Nov 27, 2012 08:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
why not try the Go Jet or Sharkface. They were both fast in their day. Better yet fly them rudder only and really get a thrill.

#6 cliffh Nov 27, 2012 11:56 AM

Ace Simple 400. Not in production any more, but you might find a kit or the plans. Very fast, very easy to build and VERY stable in high speed flight. Also handles wind well enough to be my "bad weather" airplane.

Cliff

#7 Tee Bee Nov 27, 2012 04:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
You might contact Steve Adams at selecthobbies.com. He has drawn up a plane called the Scalpel that's based closely on the old Ace Simple 400 and uses the Ace tapered foam wings. I built one from a "pre-production" kit and it's a great flying bird. Quick, on rails, and no bad manners. I'm not sure but he might have some more of these kits available. Sounds like it meets the criteria you stated and would work well with your engine.

#8 coriolan Nov 27, 2012 08:14 PM

Plenty of 1/2A plans in that sticky:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002490
Many GWS foamy warbird convert easily to 1/2A power!

#9 RknRusty Nov 30, 2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tee Bee (Post 23379248)
You might contact Steve Adams at selecthobbies.com. He has drawn up a plane called the Scalpel that's based closely on the old Ace Simple 400 and uses the Ace tapered foam wings. I built one from a "pre-production" kit and it's a great flying bird. Quick, on rails, and no bad manners. I'm not sure but he might have some more of these kits available. Sounds like it meets the criteria you stated and would work well with your engine.

Looks like a nice pretty Valentine engine on there.

#10 Tee Bee Nov 30, 2012 06:51 AM

Rusty, it's actually a Mangusta DR 049 built by Tim Wiltse several years back. Rear rotary induction. There has been some thread discussion, pics, etc about this engine.

#11 boingk Nov 30, 2012 10:04 AM

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll let you know what I end up building.

Cheers - boingk

#12 unclecrash Nov 30, 2012 11:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple valentine engines. First one is a drum rotor second is the speed bee The mach none is a good fast plane. My friend did one for electric and it was very fast and flew like it was on rails.

#13 RknRusty Dec 01, 2012 11:02 PM

I wish I knew where to get spinners like those for my Tee Dees.
I wouldn't mind some for my two Big Migs too but hat's a different thread size.

#14 surfer_kris Dec 02, 2012 04:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For the Norvels you have the nice spinners from MP Jet. Replace the stock screw with a pin bolt and it is a direct dropin.

#15 RknRusty Dec 03, 2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfer_kris (Post 23418268)
For the Norvels you have the nice spinners from MP Jet. Replace the stock screw with a pin bolt and it is a direct dropin.

Thanks Kris, I'll kook into it.