RC Groups

RC Groups
    Chit Chat
        Help! Building a Sailplane

#1 CaptChilko Nov 26, 2012 02:14 AM

Building a Sailplane

Hi! My name is Jasper. I am taking on the ambitious project of building an RC Glider for my Science Fair, and don't know where to start. I do not just want to assemble a kit, I sort of want to scratch build... But cheaply! I have the tiniest bit of experience in RC flying, and have taken one flying lesson in a proper aircraft, and have definitely caught the flying bug. :D I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, such as plans, tutorials, tips?
Thanks in advance,
Jasper

PS: Should I have posted this in the builders or sailplanes category?

#2 eflightray Nov 26, 2012 02:34 PM

The glider forums are a good place to start - Aircraft - Sailplanes forum group - that is if you do actually mean a glider, i.e. an un-powered aircraft.

Most of the other forum are mainly for powered models.

There are different types of gliders depending on how they are to be launched and flown. e.g. tow line gliders, bungee gliders, slope soaring gliders, simple 2 channel training gliders, aerobatic gliders.
Just looking through the many many forums types gives some idea of the potential complexity of RC model aircraft.

First I would recommend finding a model/hobby supplier locally for advice on what is available in NZ. Though this Regions forum may be of help in finding them - New Zealand regional forum

#3 Logan4169 Dec 09, 2012 02:40 AM

Check out the "Sticky" threads in the building sections, if you want to build cheap be sure to hit the "Foamie Scratchbuilt" thread. It is amazing what can be done with foamboard, tape, hot glue, a couple of hours and an imagination!

#4 BanjoTX Jan 08, 2013 02:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptChilko (Post 23364531)
Hi! My name is Jasper. I am taking on the ambitious project of building an RC Glider for my Science Fair, and don't know where to start. I do not just want to assemble a kit, I sort of want to scratch build... But cheaply! I have the tiniest bit of experience in RC flying, and have taken one flying lesson in a proper aircraft, and have definitely caught the flying bug. :D I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, such as plans, tutorials, tips?
Thanks in advance,
Jasper

PS: Should I have posted this in the builders or sailplanes category?

Jasper,
Hi, perhaps this might help.... It's a very good design and an excellent glider.

Banjo