RC Groups

RC Groups
    Foamies (Kits)
        Discussion The world needs China to make a copy of the MPX Sonic Liner! What do you think?

#1 MRGTX Nov 20, 2012 07:54 AM

The world needs China to make a copy of the MPX Sonic Liner! What do you think?

5 Attachment(s)
Multiplex is done with this airframe. They have made it plainly clear that they have no intentions of ever running it again...so I see no moral dilemma on this one.

At the same time, there is plenty of demand for this gorgeous kit...and with now common lipo batteries and affordable brushless motors, the performance of this model would be vastly better than what pilots had to work with when this kit was in circulation.

So...any interest? Which Chinese companies could we contact about this?

Here's the RCGroups review from the always great Michael Heer from nine years ago...(an eternity in our hobby!)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172554

#2 ltc Nov 20, 2012 09:20 AM

The World Models would be my first choice for producing this re-issue.

#3 Jurgen Heilig Nov 20, 2012 09:52 AM

When it was available in the shops, hardly anybody wanted this model. Why would it be different now?

:) Jürgen

#4 BLAZE WON Nov 20, 2012 11:16 AM

there are many planes made today that would have never made it 9 years ago. i think that if multiplex made this plane again it would be a success. multiplex!! make the plane again.

#5 mike_o Nov 20, 2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig (Post 23316928)
When it was available in the shops, hardly anybody wanted this model. Why would it be different now?

Perhaps because of better power systems?

#6 ltc Nov 20, 2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_o (Post 23318065)
perhaps because of better power systems?

^ + 1

#7 Jurgen Heilig Nov 20, 2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

There were better power systems available back then - just the prices were a lot higher. ;)

#8 Lou Nov 20, 2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRGTX (Post 23316114)
Multiplex is done with this airframe. They have made it plainly clear that they have no intentions of ever running it again...so I see no moral dilemma on this one.

It is not a moral dilemma, it is a copyright dilemma.

I don't believe the plane would do any better with sales today than it did 9 years ago. Perhaps if the plane were reduced in size it may have better sales.

#9 gooby Nov 20, 2012 01:42 PM

The chinese don't see a copyright dilemma. ;)

#10 ltc Nov 20, 2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig (Post 23318632)
There were better power systems available back then - just the prices were a lot higher. ;)

Better in terms of performance?
I can't imagine 9 years ago systems having better power/weight ratio (performance)

#11 gooby Nov 20, 2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ltc (Post 23318796)
Better in terms of performance?
I can't imagine 9 years ago systems having better power/weight ratio (performance)

Exactly. Better compared to what?

#12 BLAZE WON Nov 20, 2012 01:58 PM

im sure that any manufacturer in china could care less about any moral issues or be concerned with any copyright dilemas. the fact is that multiplex should still have the molds to make the plane again and it could be produced for far less than it would cost them to make a new model.i do believe the plane in this day&age would be successful.

#13 MRGTX Nov 20, 2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig (Post 23316928)

Quote:

This!

#14 MRGTX Nov 20, 2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obake (Post 23318728)
It is not a moral dilemma, it is a copyright dilemma.

I don't believe the plane would do any better with sales today than it did 9 years ago. Perhaps if the plane were reduced in size it may have better sales.

The copyright thing has never stopped China before...and nobody seems too upset about the Bixler, etc. It's pretty clear that community has moved on from caring about Copyright infringement.

The size is part of what makes it unique...and it might even find use with the FPV crowd.

#15 MRGTX Nov 20, 2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig (Post 23318632)

Yes. Brushless motors and lithium batteries existed 9 years ago but almost nobody had them. They were vastly more expensive than they are today.

Now consider that the Sonic Liner needed two motors, two ESCs and a big battery. It's not a mystery why the power system held this plane back.