RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models
        Discussion micro cessna 172 skyhawk in red and yellow...

#1 dcwwcp Nov 18, 2012 02:30 PM

micro cessna 172 skyhawk in red and yellow...

6 Attachment(s)
here is my latest build in the micro print-to-foam department.

it's done with the same techniques as my other micros.

16" WS, using ar6400, as2000L (for ailerons) a PZ J3 cub motor.
all up wieght with 160mah battery is 24.8 grams.

she flies like a dream. acually turns well with rudder only. might make another one with tail feather control only

#2 nemoskull Nov 18, 2012 07:06 PM

very pretty! 2mm depron?

#3 dcwwcp Nov 18, 2012 07:40 PM

oh, actually no, it's 1mm pro-formance foam on everything but the wing, which is 1mm depron.

#4 356Jim Nov 18, 2012 07:48 PM

Good work!!!

Light weight, good performance......magical combination.

Congrats.

#5 AMARILLO1978 Nov 18, 2012 07:55 PM

beautifull!!!

#6 dcwwcp Nov 18, 2012 08:06 PM

thank you.

Yes, if there was one thing I could impart onto a person new to building RC planes, especially micros for indoor flight, it would be BUILD LIGHT

that is why I use the print to foam method. I get the detail I want without adding hrdly any wieght.

#7 nadine Nov 19, 2012 01:25 AM

Hi...
Is,it,the plans,from paper plane!?Niceeeee:p

#8 dcwwcp Nov 19, 2012 06:47 PM

yes! Thank you I buy tons of models from Ecardmodels.com

I manipulate the files, re-scale them, separate the components,and set some up to print on both sides of the foam, such as the wing and tail surfaces.

#9 nadine Nov 20, 2012 04:37 AM

Wow....This is the most complete site for paper modelling!!!
I allready buy ,today,from them!!!Yupiiii

#10 nemoskull Nov 21, 2012 02:03 PM

build light... yes, i forget many times that my plane belongs in the air, not crashing in the ground. im using 1mm for a 24 inch plane ive done before. you end up with a monocoque structure. very odd to work with. i love the print to foam methond and want to try it one day. i wonder how big you can go?
have you ROG'd?

#11 dcwwcp Nov 21, 2012 11:43 PM

you mean rise off ground? yes it flys inside only. so off the gym floor is no problem. gotta give it up elevator because of the not-to-scale prop. half throttle and a little up elevator and off she goes.

biggest print to foam I've done is 17" wingspan. But I belive it could be done larger. not necessarily needed for large planes though, since you have a bit more "wiggle room" to add scale details on a larger plane.

I like the print to tissue and apply to foam method for larger planes. adds some strength and a bit easier to get the depron shaped properly first before you have to worry about the detail being right.

#12 speedy01 Nov 28, 2012 07:57 AM

Another beauty!

What printer are you currently using?

Gene K

P.S. Did you ever get your Siemens-Schuckert D.III tuned in? That model's been on my to-do list since I saw your thread.

#13 dcwwcp Dec 03, 2012 12:42 PM

hey speedy!

the printer is just a cheap simple canon MP250. about $40.

thanks! no it's just too tail heavy to correct and fly indoors, and too small to fly in the whirlwind state of kansas. it's stinkin' windy here 90% percent of the time.

However, I am working on a new set of graphics to do the siemens-schuckert in a print to foam and print to tissue combination to get the wieght down to the proper level.

#14 mtflyr Dec 03, 2012 01:40 PM

Oh yeah, the foam printing and plane look great.

Pete

#15 dcwwcp Dec 04, 2012 09:44 PM

Thank you,

It's alot of prep work on the files and alignment, but in the end it's repeatable and the lightest form of building with a scale look that I've found.

I've been looking through the ROF skins to see what I might build next, but I might do another card model graphic plane first, a Spad XIII.