RC Groups

RC Groups
    Racing Boats - Electric
        Discussion help with batts in delta force sniper 45

#1 traxxas13 Nov 16, 2012 08:24 PM

help with batts in delta force sniper 45
 
ok i am looking into batts before i get into building a boat. im looking into the delta force sniper 45 with the cc 2028 running it. gonna run it on 10s. my question is what c battery should i get. would a 40c battery hold up to the demand.

#2 bill34207 Nov 17, 2012 04:38 AM

40c will work well. One of the guys in our club recently built a Sniper 45 with 2028 power. His build thread is on OSE http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...0-DF-Sniper-45

#3 traxxas13 Nov 17, 2012 05:12 PM

nice i was thinking of a 40c batts but with the amps they pull i thought 40c was not enough. but the batts are 50 bucks a piece. also with the 2028 i ca only run 10s lipo right due to rpms. or am i able to run 12s. also i am looking at hobby king for batts what battery should i look at cause if i remember right there is one battery type to stay aay from but i dont remember. i am looking at a zippy flight max 5s1p battery. and i plan on running 4 of them at a time also will the 5.5mm bullet connectors supply the power or am i gonna have to change the connectors out. cause i really dont want to change connectors out on batts. ive done esc and motor wires. but i really dont want to do batt wires.

are the zippy flightmax 5s1p 5000 mah 45c battery be a good choice for it. i plan on ordering atleast 12 for 3 runs for now. and being only $56.85 bucks a piece.

#4 bill34207 Nov 18, 2012 04:24 AM

Actually 10s will put you over the 30k rated rpm of the 2028 in no load mode. I run the two I have on 9s 2p and Brian is doing the same in his Sniper. 9s will spin it over 27k even with a 457 3 blade load.

As for the Zippy Flite Max packs, they are my own personal favorites although 40c is the highest rating I have. Keep in mind that when you are runing a 2p setup that you have doubled the output amp capability of the packs.

#5 traxxas13 Nov 18, 2012 01:24 PM

oh so a 9s2p set up runs. 6 batts? dang. atleast the batts are even cheaper. at $39.75 each they are nottoo bad. so for 3 runs would take 18 batts. wow thats the most ive even seen. at $39.75 each and i need 18 thats 715 bucks. wow. and i stil need the charger i want. and it can charge 6 at a time. so with 6 of the
3s1p 5000 mah 40c at a 1c charge rate i could charge them at 30 amps safely right? but am i able to charge these packs higher than 1c or is 1c the max?

also are the 5.5mm bullets big enough to handle the power demand of boats.

#6 wparsons Nov 18, 2012 01:47 PM

How do you figure 6 batteries?

Unless you're running 3s packs, you only need 4 packs.

A 5s and 4s in series, wired in parallel with another 5s and 4s in series.

#7 traxxas13 Nov 18, 2012 05:16 PM

i forgot about wiring a 4s and 5s in series and in parellel with another set of packs. but the charger i want i can charge 6 at a time. unless i get enough for 3 runs and charge the 5s at the same time then the 4s at the same time. which would be back to 12 batts and charging 6 at a time like i was planning. but the weight distribution is gonna be different.

at 5.5mm bullets strong enouygh for the batts or am i gonna have to resolder a new set of connectors on all of the batts.

#8 bill34207 Nov 18, 2012 05:28 PM

5.5's work just fine.

#9 wparsons Nov 18, 2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traxxas13 (Post 23302328)
i forgot about wiring a 4s and 5s in series and in parellel with another set of packs. but the charger i want i can charge 6 at a time. unless i get enough for 3 runs and charge the 5s at the same time then the 4s at the same time. which would be back to 12 batts and charging 6 at a time like i was planning. but the weight distribution is gonna be different.

at 5.5mm bullets strong enouygh for the batts or am i gonna have to resolder a new set of connectors on all of the batts.

Chargers that can charge multiple packs will let you charge different voltage and capacities at the same time.

#10 traxxas13 Nov 18, 2012 06:09 PM

im looking at the cellpro powerlab 8 charger. could charge 12 batts in less than half hour.

#11 zozer Nov 18, 2012 09:34 PM

We have several 2028s running in our club, all on 10S. That's just four packs - two 4S and two 6S. To me that is the best voltage, keeping amps slightly lower so it is easier on the packs, gives longer run times, and the rpm is just fine. Believe me, the motor will not blow up if you run it at 31,000 rpm....but it will never see anything near that rpm on the water with an appropriate prop - logs to prove it. An x462 prop works very well on monos and cats with speeds in the 60s.

BTW, $40 packs that say they deliver 40C do not. But since it is almost impossible for most consumers to check this, pack builders inflate the numbers to sell more packs to unsuspecting buyers. The exact same thing happened with nickel cells, it didn't take the LiPo industry long to learn the ropes......



.

#12 traxxas13 Nov 18, 2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zozer (Post 23304264)
We have several 2028s running in our club, all on 10S. That's just four packs - two 4S and two 6S. To me that is the best voltage, keeping amps slightly lower so it is easier on the packs, gives longer run times, and the rpm is just fine. Believe me, the motor will not blow up if you run it at 31,000 rpm....but it will never see anything near that rpm on the water with an appropriate prop - logs to prove it. An x462 prop works very well on monos and cats with speeds in the 60s.

BTW, $40 packs that say they deliver 40C do not. But since it is almost impossible for most consumers to check this, pack builders inflate the numbers to sell more packs to unsuspecting buyers. The exact same thing happened with nickel cells, it didn't take the LiPo industry long to learn the ropes......



.

yeah i know the numbers maynot be accurate but people have ran hese pack with good results. yeah on 10s the only way i can get past the 30k limit is unloaded and in the water it wont get to that rpm. andim gonna go with packs hat people have used. and when buying 12 packs or so cheap helps. heck the 12 packs for 9s lipo i want still costs 600 plus. now try that with other brands and wont cost 2 grand. the zippy packs have been ran my many people and a couple that have posted in this thread use them if im not mistaken and they run just fine. so i am still gonna go with the zippy flightmax packs cause they are good price and have ben used in fe baots with good results.

#13 wparsons Nov 19, 2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traxxas13 (Post 23302745)
im looking at the cellpro powerlab 8 charger. could charge 12 batts in less than half hour.

How do you figure that?

To charge a pack in about half an hour means charging at 2c, so 10a per pack. That charger has a max of 8s, so if you're running 4s packs and 5s packs you would have to charge as 8s3p and 5s6p to charge six 4s packs and six 5s packs.

8s3p charging at 2c would be 30a and 5s6p at 2c would be 60a, and that would still take about an hour since you have to charge them separately.

That charger will definitely charge fast, but you'll probably be charging for at least 1.5-2 hours to charge 12 packs like this.

Not sure how much the real cellpro sells for, but HK has a version (they note that it's made by the same company) for ~$180:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...n_Charger.html

#14 zozer Nov 19, 2012 09:37 PM

These were HobbyKing packs run in a 10S boat. The exact same boat/setup was perfectly safe with ThunderPower packs. Watch your amp draw with cheap packs.

http://i46.tinypic.com/mvhgzk.jpg

This is a Haiyin pack run in a 4S Hydro (that used Hyperion packs without problems). Watch your amp draw carefully....
You pay your money and you take your chances. Just sayin'.

http://i50.tinypic.com/11jq1yu.jpg

#15 wparsons Nov 20, 2012 10:48 AM

They're talking about running 9s2p with 40c 5000mah packs (200a per pack, x2 for 400a total), while drawing about 150a constant, they should be very safe.

If you're drawing 200a from a 4s1p setup with 40c 5000mah packs it's a different story.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.