RC Groups

RC Groups
    F3A Pattern
        Discussion Giant F3A?

#1 crossup Nov 14, 2012 07:17 PM

Giant F3A?

Is there such a thing as a giant F3a plane? I talking 2.5m or larger, plans or kit or ARF?

#2 Curare Nov 14, 2012 10:31 PM

Apparently Oxai were going to do some 50cc versions of their f3a models but I don't recall one ever being built.

I could be wrong, it's not like their workshop is next door for me to check on.

#3 crossup Nov 15, 2012 06:35 AM

before anyone feels the need to educate me, I AM aware that such a plane would NOT be legal to compete.I'm just thinking as a learning tool, it would be easier to see, smoother and use stuff I already have on hand for GS planes

#4 pvogel Nov 16, 2012 11:43 PM

Seems like it wouldn't be a useful learning tool precisely because it is too large and therefore "smoother" and "easier to see" -- it would probably get you into the habit of flying too far out and get you into other bad habits. Go with a 2M plane. If cost is an issue get something like the Vanquish from Extreme Flight, with a $200 motor it's easily less than 2K all up including airframe shipping.

#5 Aero12 Apr 28, 2013 07:49 PM

World Models 50cc Patternship

World Models makes a 50cc size patternship. I cant remember the name right now, but I think it may be called the commander ???

They had it on display at the toledo show, and it is nothing but AWESOME !!

#6 bossee Apr 29, 2013 09:59 AM

Hi,

Here ia a link to the 50 cc Commander:
http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/i...ion/html/A331/

Oxai Zeque 55GT:
http://www.oxai-rc.com/main/detail.aspx?ID=72
http://www.oxai-rc.com/main/Detail.aspx?ID=72&DID=414

/Bo

#7 northwest Aug 29, 2013 08:57 AM

I am an IMAC pilot, but I believe that F3A is the heart and foundation of precision flying. Since I live in Jamaica I have always found pattern flying prohibitively expensive. There is no point at all in flying glow-power above a 60 size engine here, and the idea of paying huge $$$ for a relatively small airframe is something I am still struggling with (compare an IMAC airframe of the same price). To achieve the amount of practice necessary I simply have to use gasoline or electric. Electric pattern planes are just as expensive, and we have not yet seen a really successful gasoline set-up to meet weight and noise limits. I really wish to have a pattern plane at some point because I love the absoluteness of precision, but not on my budget.
I am a fanatic about trimming to perfection, and pattern planes are as perfect as we can manage. IMAC designs are constrained by a 10% scale deviation rule, which prevents the planes from being truly neutral by design. I have been planning a scratch-built 50-85cc "pattern shape" airframe, just to trim and fly a truly neutral plane that has much more powerful knife-edge performance that a scale plane.
The size of a 50cc plane is really not that much bigger than a 2m plane (they are both still small in the eyes of an IMAC man). Airspace control and adjusting distance for aircraft size is never a problem for a competent pilot. So a 50cc pattern plane would be an excellent intro and practice tool. I'm just not sure if there will be a market for this unless there are rule changes.
A big part of F3A is operating within the constraints of size, weight and sound limits. If you want to be legal it is what it is.

#8 Anthonyr Sep 06, 2013 03:35 PM

Search RCU for some post by RCmaster. He has several successful gas set up that meet the weight and noise rules. I believe the latest is a sticky in the pattern forum.

#9 ltc Sep 18, 2013 09:13 AM

I think I am going to buy one of these and make it a winter build project.
I have several other planes from WorldModels and Wingsmaker and have been happy with their build quality and USA support.

The only question I am struggling with is gas or electric conversion. I know my wife would prefer electric ;)

#10 Curare Sep 18, 2013 10:50 PM

Why is that?

#11 ltc Sep 19, 2013 07:26 AM

No fuel smell in the house, no fuel/oil dripping in the cars.
I've never had a gas/oil 2 stroke engine RC plane, just2 and 4 cycle glow fuel dating back to the 70's, but my son's racing karts (I was his mechanic) were all 2 stroke gas/oil, so she's very familiar with those.

She has gotten spoiled by all my recent electric airplanes.

#12 ltc Oct 11, 2013 04:27 PM

Commander 50cc arrived this week, 3 boxes, double boxed.
It s an intimidating plane in the box. The cowl is massive, let alone the fuselage.:eek:
Very odd feeling when compared to handling a 2m plane. Definitely going to need to reorganize the shop a bit, never having built a plane this arge.

Hacker Q80-7M also arrived, servos and ESC (likely Mezon 135 for built in Jeti telemetry) are next purchases.

#13 learn2turn Oct 14, 2013 01:37 PM

"Giant and "F3A" together, wouldn't that be mutually exclusive?

"Giant" and "Pattern" could go together.

But not but "F3A" as it implies <= 2meters.

> 2meter -> ~F3A

#14 ltc Oct 14, 2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by learn2turn (Post 26369436)
"Giant and "F3A" together, wouldn't that be mutually exclusive?

"Giant" and "Pattern" could go together.

But not but "F3A" as it implies <= 2meters.

> 2meter -> ~F3A

Sort of like "Jumbo Shrimp"

#15 learn2turn Oct 17, 2013 08:54 AM

Hey itc, where do you fly?

I see you are in Mendon, four towns west of Medfield where I live. Strange how the going east on 16/109 all the towns are M-towns -- Mendon->Milford->Medway->Millis->Medfield.

I like the RC shop in Mendon but it's almost an hour drive so I rarely shop there.

I fly in Medfield and Wrentham.