RC Groups

RC Groups
    Radios
        Help! ALignment of receiver antennas

#1 Mr Big Head Nov 13, 2012 10:44 AM

ALignment of receiver antennas

I have just finished building a 3DHS 48 inch Viper. The optimal place for the receiver is with the 2 opposing antennas on the main receiver directly under and parallel with the carbon wing tube. It does have a satellite receiver on the side of the fuselage about 4 inches away with it's antennas at a perpendicular angle to the main receiver. Is there a problem with this setup? If this is OK what if there wasn't a satellite receiver? Would it be a problem then? Thanks in advance. Mike

#2 richard hanson Nov 13, 2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Big Head (Post 23257855)
I have just finished building a 3DHS 48 inch Viper. The optimal place for the receiver is with the 2 opposing antennas on the main receiver directly under and parallel with the carbon wing tube. It does have a satellite receiver on the side of the fuselage about 4 inches away with it's antennas at a perpendicular angle to the main receiver. Is there a problem with this setup? If this is OK what if there wasn't a satellite receiver? Would it be a problem then? Thanks in advance. Mike

On similar models - I move the rx away from CF tube - rearward as far as possible then - place the second (satellite) rx in the very bottom of the model - away from everything You can buy a longer wire to connect rx to satellite.
My basic setup assumes that generally the bottom of the model is presented to the tx (or side n bottom)

#3 Wintr Nov 13, 2012 10:17 PM

Ideally, the antennae should be at least one wavelength away from any large conductive objects that behave like a ground plane; that would be about 5 inches. If, however, you can turn the main receiver about 90 degrees to the CF tube, that would be better than parallel, because the shadow of the CF would be smaller at the receiver antennae, and the tube would look less like a ground plane to them.