RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sailplane Talk
        Discussion Help identifying these sailplanes

#1 a betancourt Nov 12, 2012 07:19 PM

Help identifying these sailplanes

2 Attachment(s)
Hello:

A couple of weeks ago a good friend who quit the hobby gave me some models including these sailplanes that I have not been able to identify, Does any body know what planes are these?

Thank you.

#2 kzimmerm Nov 12, 2012 08:34 PM

Only a guess but I think #2 is an EZ Juan

#3 a betancourt Nov 12, 2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzimmerm (Post 23253460)
Only a guess but I think #2 is an EZ Juan

Thank you, I have searched the web and it is an EZ Juan, it was modified to install an OS 15, I will like to get the original plans to restore it to its original form.

Alfredo

#4 sixty9mustang Nov 13, 2012 08:36 AM

I am going to say it strongly resembles an Airtronics Olympic 650, but the wingtips look too large (in chord). It may just be an optical illusion.

My second guess would be a Bob Martin Pussycat, but the tail really looks like the Olympic.

Chip

#5 a betancourt Nov 13, 2012 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sixty9mustang (Post 23256793)
I am going to say it strongly resembles an Airtronics Olympic 650, but the wingtips look too large (in chord). It may just be an optical illusion.

My second guess would be a Bob Martin Pussycat, but the tail really looks like the Olympic.

Chip

I also got an Olympic and is a bit different, not just the wing tip but also the stabilizer and the fuse.

I will check the Pussycat.

Thank you

#6 scaflock Nov 13, 2012 12:48 PM

The First one is NOT a PussyKat. I built up several of them over the years as it was one of my favorite kits to modify. The wing is all wrong as the PussyKat was a top mount not a shoulder mounted wing and the center panel was flat. The tail is also all wrong for a PussyKat.

Anyone know the decl on the tail? I can't place it but it may help in the ID. Just a thought.

#7 a betancourt Nov 13, 2012 05:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by scaflock (Post 23258832)
The First one is NOT a PussyKat. I built up several of them over the years as it was one of my favorite kits to modify. The wing is all wrong as the PussyKat was a top mount not a shoulder mounted wing and the center panel was flat. The tail is also all wrong for a PussyKat.

Anyone know the decl on the tail? I can't place it but it may help in the ID. Just a thought.

This one has a top mounted wing, I am attaching better quality photos.

Regards,

Alfredo

#8 StevenatorLTFO Nov 13, 2012 07:21 PM

Airfoil looks semi symmetrical.

#9 StevenatorLTFO Nov 13, 2012 07:55 PM

Airtronics Eclipse perhaps?

#10 StevenatorLTFO Nov 13, 2012 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an Eclipse from a for sale post. I took a closeup with my phone, but its dead now..

#11 StevenatorLTFO Nov 13, 2012 08:20 PM

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1582717

#12 a betancourt Nov 13, 2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenatorLTFO (Post 23262241)
Airtronics Eclipse perhaps?

It is similar but mine has a rounded fin, ofcourse it could have been modified, as you can see the nose is set up for a glow engine maybe a 0.9 or 10.

Thank you

#13 StevenatorLTFO Nov 13, 2012 09:10 PM

the top of the fin is not shown on the box lid, I don't remember if its got a bit of a curve at the top, or if its just a straight taper. I'll grab the plans, and I can get a couple of measurements, might be able to confirm or deny. With the airfoil (looking at where the wing goes on). Its the closest thing I can think of.

#14 StevenatorLTFO Nov 13, 2012 09:38 PM

I just looked at the side of the box, straight taper, no curve, that would be an easy enough bash. Rest looks close.

#15 sixty9mustang Nov 14, 2012 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by scaflock (Post 23258832)

You know for owning several of them, you would think you would know how to at least spell it. ;)

If you look closely, the wing is mounted on top of the fuselage, also if you look closely, at the fuselage where the leading edge rests, the fuselage comes up in front of the leading edge, just like the Pussycat.

Now, I am probably wrong about what I believe this aircraft to be, and I am totally OK with that. What it really looks like to me is a Pussycat fuse, an Olympic Vertical stabilizer and possibly horizontal (that was not rounded off on the corners of the stab) and a wing I cannot identify with the pics given. More or less a MUTT sailplane.

We did this a lot back in the 80's, crash a few RE planes, then start using the parts you have to just keep flying.

Anyway, Betancourt, I hope you figure out what it is, but either way, it looks like it would be fun to fly :D

Thanks,
Chip