RC Groups

RC Groups
    The Builders Workshop
        Discussion Bonding nylon / delrin

#1 UlteriorModem Nov 12, 2012 01:59 PM

Bonding nylon / delrin

I have a glider which has a plastic nose cone. I believe it to be nylon or a close cousin to nylon.

Is there an adhesive preferably a solvent type that can be used to fix some cracks?

Nothing bonds to the stuff. Not cyanos, hot glue, epoxy, silicone, even acetone doesnt touch it.

#2 epoxyearl Nov 12, 2012 05:15 PM

I haven't found anything yet -I'm surprised it cracked. They usually just bend..
You might try a soldering iron and see if it'll "weld"....Try a little inside with some extra plastic from something else.

#3 edwin1 Nov 12, 2012 05:38 PM

Try Goop from the hardware store.
Edwin

#4 jonquinn Nov 12, 2012 06:00 PM

how about pvc cement, like you would use for drainage pipes? or tenax 7R - that glues up plastics really nice
I wouldn't think delrin could be formed into a nose cone, unless its milled from a larger piece.

#5 edwin1 Nov 12, 2012 09:00 PM

I've used pipe glue and fiberglass cloth, it worked but stinks a lot while you're doing it.
Edwin

#6 kenh3497 Nov 12, 2012 09:41 PM

I've "welded" many a plastic item using a soldering iron. Everything from motorcycle fairings to riding mower grills. Glue in may cases, like yu found out, just won't stick.

Use the iron and place the tip across the crack until it melts and penetrates at least 3/4 of the thickness. After you made several stitches, go back and smooth it as best you can with the iron. Continue until the crack is closed. Try it on some scrap first to get the hang of it. Sand and apply filler and paint to make it look pretty.

Ken

#7 AL_T Nov 13, 2012 06:14 AM

Just a caution. Google "delrin and formaldehyde". Can give off nasty fumes when heated.

#8 BMatthews Nov 13, 2012 09:57 PM

Yep on the fumes. Do the soldering iron "welding" outside. Also the times I've fixed some motorcycle bits with heat welding I used a lamp dimmer wired into an extension cord that I made up years back as a heat controller so it's not TOO hot. You want to melt and form without making the plastic turn black.