RC Groups

RC Groups
    Waterplanes
        Discussion Where to fly floats in SOCAL

#1 drumbum Nov 12, 2012 12:19 PM

Where to fly floats in SOCAL

Hi all,

I would love to get an icon a5 but I dont want to drive hours to a lake. Where do folks fly these things in LA?

Is there anywhere close by?

#2 Renfield Nov 18, 2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drumbum (Post 23249542)
Hi all,

I would love to get an icon a5 but I dont want to drive hours to a lake. Where do folks fly these things in LA?

Is there anywhere close by?

L.A. River?!? Also, as I recall there's a lake near downtown at one of the parks. There's (was?) a great rc airfield at balboa park in the valley that puddles nicely after a storm.

I've got a friend at the LHS who charms his way onto golf courses and uses their water hazards. ;)

#3 jrf2 Nov 18, 2012 06:59 PM

Santa Fe Dam

Join the Santa Fe Dam RC Modelers and fly at the lake in Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area at the junction of the 605 and the 210 every other month.

Join the San Gabriel Valley Flyers and fly at Legg Lake (smaller) in Whittier Narrows Recreation Area once a month.

Fly at the float fly at Castaic once or twice a year.

Fly at Hucklebury Pond in Anaheim whenever you want, but no recovery boat is allowed, and it is quite a drive from Pasadena.

Jim

#4 drumbum Nov 20, 2012 01:07 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

Sounds like Legg Lake is the go.

#5 drumbum Nov 26, 2012 12:08 AM

Jrf2

I forgot to ask. Is membership to san gabriel flyers required to fly floats at legg lake?

Thanks in advance

Db

#6 jrf2 Nov 26, 2012 10:34 AM

The flying at Legg Lake is done on one specific Monday of each month and it is for members and their guests. I am not a member, but have flown there as a guest. I am sure that they would let you try it out once or twice, but you would need to be a member to continue.

Jim