RC Groups
    Chit Chat
        Question How long is a piece of string?

#1 C₄H₁₀ Nov 07, 2012 11:08 PM

How long is a piece of string?

I need to know for a project.

#2 Logan4169 Nov 08, 2012 12:20 AM

#3 C₄H₁₀ Nov 08, 2012 12:43 AM

My tape measure isn't long enough and my string keeps getting tangled.

#4 Logan4169 Nov 08, 2012 02:50 AM

#5 Arkitexas Nov 08, 2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan4169 (Post 23213441)
The length of string needed will vary from project to project. You really need a method for calculating the length based on the project that you are working on. Here is what I have found to work for most projects.
First pull off as much string from the roll as you think that you will need. Now don't be shy here, you want to aim for the long side of your estimate so that no matter what you will have enough. Then pull off another 10% as a safety margin and cut the string. There is no point in attempting to use this piece though because it is too short. So cut another piece that is 1.5 times as long as the first. This one will be way too long so you will need to try to use it, and trim to fit. This may take several tries, but don't get discouraged. Once you finally get it trimmed to the perfect length, remove it from the project and measure it carefully with a tape measure. That will be close to the length of string that you will need. Write down that number, and wrap another piece of string around your finger so that you don't forget it.

Do you, by any chance, work for a government regulation writing agency?

#6 Logan4169 Nov 08, 2012 09:40 AM

#7 Hepdog Nov 08, 2012 11:31 AM

If this is for real....

Nail 2 nails on a flat surface a set distance apart (1 foot, 1 meter etc). Make some appropriate markings between the nails (inches, centimeters etc).

Mark off 6" of string for the end you will tie to one nail and tie it on starting at that mark (whatever hangs off is already counted) Wind the string around the nails counting the number of complete wraps. Each wrap equals twice your set distance (2 feet, 2 meters etc + your tie amount).

When you get to the end measure it against the markings you made between the nails previously (i.e halfway would be 6" or 50cm etc).

Add it all up for a total that is going to be within 1% of your actual total (loose a tiny amount of distance going around the nails).

Tie amount + (wraps X2) + end remnants = string length

If you need more precision than this....why are you using string?:cool:

#8 C₄H₁₀ Nov 08, 2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Add it all up for a total that is going to be within 1% of your actual total (loose a tiny amount of distance going around the nails).
I'm gonna lose distance going around the nails? Wouldn't that be making my string longer?

I never knew string was so complex.

#9 Hepdog Nov 08, 2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ (Post 23221437)
I'm gonna lose distance going around the nails? Wouldn't that be making my string longer?

I never knew string was so complex.

Yes your string will be longer - you lose a bit in the measurement - not the string. One could inset the nails a tenth or so to compensate....

#10 C₄H₁₀ Nov 08, 2012 10:42 PM

But isn't a longer string better?

#11 Logan4169 Nov 08, 2012 10:50 PM

#12 mrdj Nov 09, 2012 04:19 AM

How long is a piece of string.

Twice the distance from an end to the middle.

#13 kenh3497 Nov 09, 2012 01:13 PM

I gave up on string years ago. I now use rope with much greater satisfaction.

#14 Jon Snow Nov 09, 2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logan4169 (Post 23213441)
The length of string needed will vary from project to project. You really need a method for calculating the length based on the project that you are working on. Here is what I have found to work for most projects.
First pull off as much string from the roll as you think that you will need. Now don't be shy here, you want to aim for the long side of your estimate so that no matter what you will have enough. Then pull off another 10% as a safety margin and cut the string. There is no point in attempting to use this piece though because it is too short. So cut another piece that is 1.5 times as long as the first. This one will be way too long so you will need to try to use it, and trim to fit. This may take several tries, but don't get discouraged. Once you finally get it trimmed to the perfect length, remove it from the project and measure it carefully with a tape measure. That will be close to the length of string that you will need. Write down that number, and wrap another piece of string around your finger so that you don't forget it.

Is this the well known string theory? Or knot?
Stuart.

#15 Jonathan Bradbury Nov 09, 2012 01:46 PM

How Long is a Piece of String? - ¿Cuánto mide una cuerda? Subtitulado en español (58 min 45 sec)