RC Groups

RC Groups
    Racing Boats - Electric
        Discussion NEW MOTORS for 41" FALCON

#1 madphil Nov 06, 2012 03:20 PM

NEW MOTORS for 41" FALCON

3 Attachment(s)
i am trying some new motors in the falcon think i have gone as far as i can with the HET typhoon EDF motors

i have gone for the TORO beast 780kv motors they are a replacement / upgrade for a 26cc gas motor all most twice the size of the HET motors can size is 57mm D x 112mm long with 8mm shaft the spec claims they are good for over 10hp on 9s ( we will have to see about that when its on the water )

i have just made some alloy cooling jackets will make water connections and mounting plates now (the small motor in the pic is a 3s motor from my trex helicopter to show how big these motors are )

its a low KV 4 pole motor should get away with running a twin 10s setup

#2 bill34207 Nov 06, 2012 07:34 PM

That is a bunch of motor Phil. At the 10 horse level that's pretty much the same as the Castle 2028.
I'm getting ready to test the 910 kv version as a single for Dave this weekend if the weather permits. The one he got is a litttle shorter than the 2028 but was able to slip it into the 2028 mount with no real problems or even moving a mount on my rails. (Well, I will be using a zip tie to hold the motor down on the rear mount, but that's about it).

#3 madphil Nov 07, 2012 02:57 AM

its the same spec, size and output as the castle 2028 have you any recomendations on prop size to start with , 2 or 3 bladers ?????

running twin motors i have found they work together so you can run slightly bigger props

phil.

#4 bill34207 Nov 07, 2012 04:13 AM

As a single my 2028 will spin an Octura X460/3 with no problem. Peak amps aound 205 and averaging in the low 100's over a 6 lap run. The challenge could be in finding a set of counter rotating props that big.

The motor I'm testing for Dave is the smaller, higher kv version. Not as strong as the ones you have.

#5 brushman Nov 07, 2012 09:28 AM

hello,

you are crazy people! may be you should take a Tesla's motor next!
If the weather is fine for me next week , I will try to fry my 4092 for the 60mph mark.
I will post about!

Good luck for your tests!

Vincent

#6 madphil Nov 11, 2012 10:47 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Done a bit more today made some alloy flange mounts and alloy rear caps these are BIG motors ( the original HET motor looks pathetic at the side see pic ) just enough room to clear the hatch will need to move my ESC back to get the balance right , can drill the water outlet fittings now the motors are fitted will have to offset a little to clear hatch

i have found some R/H and L/H 55mm 3 blade props hopefully that should give me a bit of lift and work on 10s

#7 bill34207 Nov 11, 2012 04:45 PM

I like the bling effect of the end caps. That looks pretty cool. :cool:
Are you going to add a support for the wire end of the motors?

#8 madphil Nov 12, 2012 02:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes Bill the end caps will be drilled and tapped M4 to take the front mounting bracket

EDIT - have made alloy front support now and fitted water outlets

#9 SARCFAN Nov 12, 2012 11:50 PM

It seriously looks like overkill. But I can't wait to see it run. No shortage of power here:D

#10 Pseudonym Nov 15, 2012 10:30 PM

Wow, that's a lot of motor for a 41" cat!
You have plenty of room on props. Those motors should be able to turn 65mm+ props in a twin setup. I have some in stock and I have compared to my 2028s, everything seems to measure the same except a slight difference in the case machining.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one run!

#11 madphil Nov 16, 2012 02:55 AM

Thanks Guys , its getting close to hitting the water now :eek: ,

Pseudonym they are the same size / spec motors as the castle 2028 i have made my own alloy cooling jackets , flange mounts and bling end caps thats why they look a bit differant

just waiting for my new flex / shafts to come also i am very limited on counter rotating prop options any help or links for larger props would be a great help to me .

thanks , phil.

#12 Pseudonym Nov 16, 2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madphil (Post 23282052)
Thanks Guys , its getting close to hitting the water now :eek: ,

Pseudonym they are the same size / spec motors as the castle 2028 i have made my own alloy cooling jackets , flange mounts and bling end caps thats why they look a bit differant

just waiting for my new flex / shafts to come also i am very limited on counter rotating prop options any help or links for larger props would be a great help to me .

thanks , phil.

Your jackets/mount/caps look great, nice work!

What I meant by the case difference, is that the Sky motors are machined slightly different. The castle 2028 water jacket doesn't fit without an o ring swap.

I think the props you have are probably a good starting point on that hull, but if you end up wanting more pitch you could look here:
http://www.prop-shop.co.uk/

They are expensive but they have some hard to find props. Props come balanced according to them, but make sure you still balance them...they really aren't balanced that well most of the time.

#13 madphil Nov 25, 2012 01:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
At last my new 1/4" struts with stainless tubes have come with RH and LH 1/4" shafts stepped down to 3/16 for better prop choice
also i have got some right / left handed heavy duty couplings much bigger than my old ones ,

the boat was fitted with 3/16 shafts i was told i could run up to 60mm props on 3/16 shafts thought i would step up to 1/4" and then its up to the job from the start i will get them fitted this week

i hope my props come soon need to get testing before the snow and ice come in the next few weeks

#14 bill34207 Nov 25, 2012 07:25 PM

When you're putting close to10 hp through it you really need the 1/4" drive.
I had a 3/16" drive in my 47" mono originally (when I built it with a 1527 Neu) and didn't bother switching it after putting the 2028 in it.
Until the 2028 tied it in a knot. :rolleyes:

#15 madphil Dec 06, 2012 11:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well its all fitted and running now but still waiting for my counter rotating props

i have changed the angle of the prop tubes and managed to get the C of G of the motors much lower and with the re position of the ESC's i have got the over all C of G where i want it with loads of adjustment FWD and AFT to get the balance right once its on the water and the slots on the strut brackets have been elongated to give loads of adjustments with prop angle etc

with the batterys fitted low down in the sponsons i can hold the boat on its side at 90 deg let go and it will still fall the right way up so this low Cog will help on corners

i have cut everything down to save weight its 1.5KG more now with the bigger motors and flexes / struts so ready to run it tips the scales at 7.5KG that should help with the power to weight and hopefully improve the run time