RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sailboats
        Discussion White non skid

#1 Jerome Morris Nov 06, 2012 06:47 AM

White non skid

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guy's, Have searched around and really haven't found what I need.
A model in the shop needs to have some non skid put on her decks.
Is there anything available out there?

#2 Gregg28 Nov 06, 2012 07:45 AM

Non-skid would be essential to keep the little sailors from slipping on deck. Have you tried a very fine grit sand mixed with paint?

#3 mfr02 Nov 06, 2012 07:49 AM

Add talc to your preferred white paint. Check on scrap before adulterating the model. Remember to stir plentifully between brushfuls.

#4 seabee CE Nov 06, 2012 09:38 AM

You can scrap the grit off some sandpaper and mix with flat white, experiment with different grits till you get the look you want.

#5 Jerome Morris Nov 06, 2012 11:37 AM

Cool! . I'll update you to show when she's done. Thanks a bunch.

#6 Dick L. Nov 06, 2012 02:17 PM

Visit a garden store and buy some landscape fabric. spray the white gel coat (light coat) on the deck and place the cut pieces of fabric on top of gel coat. Once gel coat is close to hardening, "peel" off the landscape fabric leaving a rough surface.

You can also so similar with gel coating, add salt or sugar. When cured simply "melt" the salt or sugar crystals away by soaking/dissolving in water.

#7 hew565 Nov 07, 2012 08:39 PM

I wouldn't use salt is using a polyester gel. It absorbs water and water does not mix well with uncured polyester resins. I have built a lot of windsurfer boards and used sugar with great results. Brush on a coat of resin, then stand back and toss sugar up and onto the surface. The further you toss it, the more even the finish will be. You will get sugar all over the place, BTW.

If you want a pattern, I have also used fiberglass cloth, and like a post above, peeled it off once the resin has partially cured. It leaves a nice cloth weave pattern.

I don't know how these would work with paint, I have used them only with resins. Always try it on a scrap beforehand.

#8 Jerome Morris Nov 13, 2012 11:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I ended up using Badger airbrush grit that I had been given, mixed with paint.
I thing it looks pretty good with just a touch of traction in it.
Thanks all for opening my eyes.