RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk
        Build Log BVM Viper came back home

#1 jefffassbinder Nov 04, 2012 11:32 AM

BVM Viper came back home

4 Attachment(s)
Well I got my old Viper back. It was in need of some TLC since it bit the dust from it's owner after me had a controller issue. I had to bring out paint swatches to match it's new scheme but I have managed to repair the wing at this point and the stabs. Going to try to keep it really light. I want to take it down to a 90mm I've done 120-100s myself and will do a 90mm and set CG accordingly. It had some struts and on it and BVM wheels but I'm thinking light so I may just use traditional rod and some good old dubro or robart wheel. Light, also the 90 mm is a TJ90 with wemo rotor and 1515 2Y motor. It has a lower KV but should have plenty of air. So I need to build a few formers for the nose section as this was destroyed. It has been rebuilt on the inside. Now I need to sand. All electronics need to be gone through. Just to make sure no servo pots are damaged. And will give me a chance to redo the wiring internally.

Well the BVM Viper lives again!

#2 pdawg Nov 04, 2012 11:40 AM

Nice score! It's a classic IMO!

#3 pulsar110 Nov 04, 2012 08:31 PM

Depending on the weight you might look at the MPI aluminum wheels. Tam has them, he told me some time ago that they would be good to about 10 pounds. They look light weight and sharp. Just ordered a set of my Super Sniper XL

#4 jefffassbinder Nov 04, 2012 10:28 PM

MPI Wheels

I will take a look at those. I know I had tried them on another project but traction was a problem. But maybe, doesn't hurt to taxi test and see how it handles. I'm working the speed brake on the bottom of wing hinge and servo. Then need to add in the servos and gear. I'm using springair as I had these before and they worked well in this airframe. I will be doing a overhaul on them cleaning and taking apart then getting the o lube out to get the orings lubed up. Nose is still calling for attention. I have to finish the hatch paint and masking. Intake ducting needs to be sanded and then I can start some electronics on the fuselage.

#5 corsair nut Nov 04, 2012 10:45 PM

i had those on my jhh cougar at 14 lbs. loved them.

#6 db_sonic Nov 06, 2012 06:49 PM

I've got the MPI wheels on my BVM Viper and they work okay but they have come off and dont stand up to the braking...so to be honest if I had to do it again I would go with Tam's Pro Lite wheels. I have those on the JHH F86 and it does much better. They look better too.

Jeff, Are those pics all the same Viper or 3 different ones?

#7 Hossinarizona Nov 06, 2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jefffassbinder (Post 23185135)
I will take a look at those. I know I had tried them on another project but traction was a problem. But maybe, doesn't hurt to taxi test and see how it handles. I'm working the speed brake on the bottom of wing hinge and servo. Then need to add in the servos and gear. I'm using springair as I had these before and they worked well in this airframe. I will be doing a overhaul on them cleaning and taking apart then getting the o lube out to get the orings lubed up. Nose is still calling for attention. I have to finish the hatch paint and masking. Intake ducting needs to be sanded and then I can start some electronics on the fuselage.

Are these the wheels, I have a Super Sniper Xl and need some replacements.

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-56...b-Light/Detail

#8 Hossinarizona Nov 06, 2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by db_sonic (Post 23201659)
I've got the MPI wheels on my BVM Viper and they work okay but they have come off and dont stand up to the braking...so to be honest if I had to do it again I would go with Tam's Pro Lite wheels. I have those on the JHH F86 and it does much better. They look better too.

Jeff, Are those pics all the same Viper or 3 different ones?

I looked at Tam's site and could only find the Pro Lites in sets with retracts and brakes. Does he sell just the wheels seperately.
Thanks for the help in advance.

#9 db_sonic Nov 06, 2012 07:00 PM

Yes, those are the very same MPI wheels but Tam's setup uses a brass bushing.

I noticed that too. But I think Tam would sell a set of wheels only tho you need to tell him axle size. They are nice wheels.

#10 RCSCALEGUY Nov 06, 2012 08:24 PM

3 Viper

Looks like Jeff has a few birds.

#11 jefffassbinder Nov 06, 2012 08:29 PM

These are all the same airplane

Hossinarizona, these images are all the same bird that has had many transformation. I initially had this as a glow engine Viper and it hauled. Then I converted to electric at 120mm and it moved alright considering it was back in the 20-25c days and batteries are not what they are today. Then I had to cut in the forward hatch to access batteries. I'd rather have a hatch line then hangar rash from having to access another way. Currently, it is in it's Luftwaffe state. I will continue with this scheme and repair in this manner. I have a set of light thin Hanger 9 wheels that I've used on my A-7 Corsair on the nose. I will give these a try as they are thin and light for mains. Gear and wires are in so wing is done. Need to work on the nose gear area and then the hatch improvement.

#12 efflux RC Nov 06, 2012 09:12 PM

We have the wheels with 3 sizes of plastic bushings included. Be sure to epoxy the tire to the rim.
Sold in pairs.
http://www.effluxrc.com/WHEELS_c38.htm

#13 SCALEFAN Nov 07, 2012 08:31 AM

My advice, get the wheels with plastic bushings. Tam's brass bushings are a tight fit, need to be oiled on a regular basis, tend to freeze up when you need them. The slightest scratch, dirt etc will cause the bushings to freeze.

#14 mcgoughman Nov 07, 2012 12:04 PM

Hey Jeff, looks like your are putting that KFIR $$$ to good use. Cant wait to see it fly..... The Viper and the KFIR that is :D

#15 stoneenforcer Nov 07, 2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCALEFAN (Post 23206016)
My advice, get the wheels with plastic bushings. Tam's brass bushings are a tight fit, need to be oiled on a regular basis, tend to freeze up when you need them. The slightest scratch, dirt etc will cause the bushings to freeze.

good advice. the brass bushing are real bad and usaully bind.

** and since someone bought the KFIR I so badly wanted, I had Larry ship me a kit. Arrives tomorrow for some build time. :-))