RC Groups

RC Groups
    Painting and Finishing Tips
        Discussion Balsarite substitute??

#1 bdshort Oct 21, 2012 04:18 PM

Balsarite substitute??

Just ordered some Coverite (aka Litespan) for covering a 1/8 scale Super Cub. Unfortunately, due to shipping restrictions, I was unable to have Tower ship the Balsarite adhesive to me - it's flammable so it can't be shipped via air, and I live in Alaska so that's the only option.

I've heard you can thin out some of the Aliphatic glues with water and that will work but is there a commercial product that will work as well?

#2 TomCrump Oct 22, 2012 06:13 AM

I quit using Balsarite a few years back. I've been using Aquanet hairspray as a substitute. Just spray on a coat and let it dry (15min). Then iron the film as usual.

#3 jkettu Oct 22, 2012 08:18 AM

One possibility is white carpenter glue thinned with water. Apply with a brush, let dry, then iron the film as usual.

#4 kenh3497 Oct 31, 2012 09:14 PM

What would you use with fabric that has no adhesive on it?

Ken

#5 bdshort Oct 31, 2012 09:29 PM

Just to let everyone know, I'm using ModPodge thinned with water, as well as a glue stick to help position pieces.

#6 FoamCrusher Nov 07, 2012 10:58 AM

My LHS couldn't get the Balsarite because of shipping restrictions, but for some reason they can get SIG Stix-It. (Perhaps because it is in a metal can????)

SIG is very proud of it (as in it is $$$$) but it worked very well on the Coverite 21st Century Fabric I used as the decking material for an RC sailboat. It looks and smells like rubber cement- dries clear in about 30 min and heat activates with your covering iron.

The Stix-It is on the SIG website under "Glues" rather than in "Coverings". The 8 oz can is product code SIGSX001.

FC

#7 kw_counter Nov 12, 2012 11:18 AM

I used the SIG Stix-It on my last covering.
My goal is to keep the covering on around the engine area.
Not very many flights but it seems to be doing a good job so far.
If they'll ship it to CA I'm sure you can get it in Alaska.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter

#8 Top_Gunn Nov 12, 2012 08:33 PM

Another endorsement of Stix-It. I've used it both with Sig Koverall, which has no adhesive, and in place of Balsarite with 21st Century fabric. One thing that might be a concern about using it with Litespan, though, is weight. (I'm just raising the issue: don't know about relative weights of Stix-It and Balsarite.)

#9 fgroza Feb 25, 2014 02:16 PM

Don't forget to lightly sand the wood after the Balsarite or whatever you use to smooth out the grain that has raised .