RC Groups

RC Groups
    Multirotor Talk
        Discussion Aquacopter - Waterproof quads!

#1 WiseDuck Oct 17, 2012 02:16 AM

Aquacopter - Waterproof quads!

Just bumped into this store: http://aquacopters.gostorego.com/

Can't say I've seen anything like it before (altho they are similiar to the DeX quad), not really sure where the motor wires go, but hey, it seems to work! Price ain't bad either!

Floating Waterproof Quadcopter by Aquacopters.com (7 min 10 sec)

#2 WiseDuck Oct 17, 2012 03:23 AM

Correction, they ship to other countries too, but you have to contact them via the website. I just did, definitely buying one of these if the shipping cost is reasonable. With winter approaching fast this would be the perfect quad to fly with over thick snow and cold water! I hate rain, it often rains in the fall and I just cannot fly in it with my current quads.

Waterproof Quadcopter swimming and splashing in pond (1 min 38 sec)

#3 samwei1950 Oct 17, 2012 05:57 AM

Awesome,seems a well designed water proof quad:cool:
thanks for sharing:)
regards
Sam

#4 Gundy Oct 17, 2012 11:54 AM

My first quad was pvc pipe... guess I should have went forward with the idea... LOL

Later,
Gundy

#5 oddcopter Oct 17, 2012 12:48 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered one. Looks like only a couple left. I will do a review on my oddcopter.com blog once I run it through its paces. Looks like fun!

#6 flitelab Oct 17, 2012 01:17 PM

I'll be getting one in as well for a review.

#7 shultz Oct 17, 2012 05:07 PM

How do you guy's plan on dealing with cooling? Even if using oversized ESC's I would think heat build up will be an issue... maybe not.

John

#8 Vantasstic Oct 17, 2012 08:04 PM

John...stop telling me about these things...like I (or you in that case) need any more 'toys'. So, our electronics sitting in a sealed shell (especially a dark colored one) in the 115F desert heat and you're wondering about cooling? ;)

#9 shultz Oct 17, 2012 09:10 PM

Lee, I was counting on you talking me out of one of these... I'll let you know when our frames deliver:D

I ordered the oversize ESC heat sinks as well. I think we have the cooling all figured out so now it's just a matter waiting for the postman:popcorn:

John

#10 daign Oct 17, 2012 11:29 PM

cool concept and design and fantastic price.

I'd buy one if I had need for a water quad...

Unfortunately flying around waves you'd be bound to end up upside down :/

#11 Vantasstic Oct 18, 2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daign (Post 23032088)
cool concept and design and fantastic price.

I'd buy one if I had need for a water quad...

Unfortunately flying around waves you'd be bound to end up upside down :/

That's why you take an R/C rescue boat to push you back to shore. Been there, done that with my aquaquad (normal 450 frame with pool noodle floats). I think this my be less likely for flip overs with the much lower CG than what I had on my quad (sitting high on floats and battery on top of frame).

#12 Vantasstic Oct 18, 2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shultz (Post 23031174)
Lee, I was counting on you talking me out of one of these... I'll let you know when our frames deliver:D

I ordered the oversize ESC heat sinks as well. I think we have the cooling all figured out so now it's just a matter waiting for the postman:popcorn:

John

Talk you out of one? Didn't I talk you into two!!!!:eek::D I can't wait to see them when they arrive. I'm already figuring out what motors and ESCs (I already have) can be used. We can talk heatsink ideas this weekend...I've got a few ideas that might help with mounting and waterproofing. Now if we didn't live in the desert me might actually be able to water test them too!!! :rolleyes:

#13 shultz Oct 19, 2012 08:20 PM

never mind...

#14 AquaCopters Oct 19, 2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WiseDuck (Post 23023320)
Correction, they ship to other countries too, but you have to contact them via the website. I just did, definitely buying one of these if the shipping cost is reasonable. With winter approaching fast this would be the perfect quad to fly with over thick snow and cold water! I hate rain, it often rains in the fall and I just cannot fly in it with my current quads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESIEWURYNPc&feature=plcp

Thanks WiseDuck, everything is in working order now. You can go right to the website and order what you like!

#15 Garry s Oct 19, 2012 09:00 PM

Was intrigued to learn that motors seem to be waterproof....? (I mean, obviously they are, it works!)