RC Groups

RC Groups
    The Builders Workshop
        Discussion Twist and lock wing retention?

#1 Jon Snow Oct 13, 2012 04:06 PM

Twist and lock wing retention?

Doing some decorating the other day,using one of those twist and lock extension poles.They work by the twist drawing a nut which expands a plastic sleeve inside the tube.
Tube in the fuselage,left and right hand threads in the wing tubes.One twist and the wings are locked;the twist would also tend to draw the wing against the fuselage.
Seems too simple,I can find nothing on a search.Maybe you guys can point out the obvious flaws
Regards Stuart

#2 epoxyearl Oct 13, 2012 05:11 PM

Should work !Can you find Left hand threads ?

Only concern is a way to keep it from rotating loose..so it UN screws itself..

#3 Jon Snow Oct 13, 2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epoxyearl (Post 22992487)
Should work !Can you find Left hand threads ?

Only concern is a way to keep it from rotating loose..so it UN screws itself..

Left hand threads arent a problem,readily available at good engineers suppliers.As to it rotating loose,these things lock up real tight,tommy bar through a hole in the centre tube would do it.I'm sure a way could be found to prevent it loosening if needed.
If I get time I'll make a mock up,meanwhile if anybody feels like trying this out feel free.
Regards Stuart

#4 BMatthews Oct 13, 2012 09:38 PM

For a right angle sort of hold such as found on a model fuselage to wing joint I'd be looking more at something like the cam lock thimbles used in Ikea and other "you build" furniture. In fact some kitchen cabinets I put together many years ago used the same style of camloc thimbles.

#5 Jon Snow Oct 14, 2012 03:14 AM

Bruce,I've come across mentions of using cam locks.Do you know of anybody actually building with them?
As I see it this idea uses the existing tube in tube set up,cam locks would need hardware(weight)to fix them securely.
Regards Stuart.

#6 Ward Hagaman Oct 14, 2012 01:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
For my EPP twisty wing I use a keyhole slot to retain the wing. Works great.

#7 Jon Snow Oct 14, 2012 02:58 PM

Ward,I like that !Simple but effective.
Regards Stuart