RC Groups

RC Groups
    Batteries and Chargers
        Discussion Charging 6 individual cells in parallel

#1 aussiefly Oct 13, 2012 02:41 PM

Charging 6 individual cells in parallel

Hi. I am just wondering a couple of things about charging.

I have a MCPX helicopter which uses 1s 200mah (or 300mah) batteries. I also have a GT A-6 charger/balancer. I bought 4 additional 300mah batteries. So I have 4x300mah 3.7v lipos and 2x200mah 3.7v lipos. I am wondering firstly about charging them in parallel - what I am looking for basically is a cable that would connect up all 6 batteries possibly to my 6s charging port in my A-6 charger. Is this possible to do/get? I know when I am charging normal 3s1p I need to plug in the discharging connector before it will start charging (the deans connector total voltage). So is there a way to disable this requirement in the charger?

Also would there be issue with the differences in capacity? 300mah vs 200mah?

Another unrelated question, when I am charging my LiPOs and I am not in a hurry I often just set them to charge at .33C for example (very slow) or 1/2C. Is this of any benefit to the back to give them a much slower charge?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

#2 everydayflyer Oct 13, 2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

I am wondering firstly about charging them in parallel - what I am looking for basically is a cable that would connect up all 6 batteries possibly to my 6s charging port in my A-6 charger.
That would be Series not Parallel. In parallel six would be charged at 1S setting and only the charge rate would be increase by 6X.

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...-2-charge.html

#3 pmackenzie Oct 13, 2012 03:00 PM

Charge them in parallel, then there is no concern about the different capacities.

You need to buy (or make) something like this:
http://arkrc.com.au/hp-lgmcp6padap-m...-charge-board/
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=265

Charge current will be the based on the sum of all the individual cells.

Pat MacKenzie

#4 aussiefly Oct 13, 2012 03:03 PM

Thanks guys. WIth those cables you show they don't appear to be going to the balancing taps on side of charger. What setting would i select on the charger to charge the batteries using this? Because from what i remember if i connected only 1 of the 2 cables (i.e. did not connect either the main plug or the balance plug) then the charger would throw an error.

Thanks for your advice again.

#5 aussiefly Oct 13, 2012 03:05 PM

Also do the individual cell voltages balance themselves?

What would be the voltage if i connected a 3v and a 4v in parallel? (just for my own understanding). Would it be the average or the maximum? ( or neither!!)?

#6 pmackenzie Oct 13, 2012 03:13 PM

I try to have the cells fairly close in voltage before connecting them.
This is easy with the MCPx, just fly them for a fixed time.:)

If they are different then the current will flow from the higher voltage pack to the lower voltage one till they come into balance. Some have said this current is not a problem, but I still like them to be close.

Can't help you with the charger question, all my chargers let me charge through the main power leads.

#7 everydayflyer Oct 13, 2012 08:06 PM

Most chargers will let you do an unbalanced charge especially for a 1S LiPoly.