RC Groups

RC Groups
    3D Foamies
        Discussion Twisted Hobbys - Crack Yak Lite - Build Thread

#1 hercdriver7777 Oct 12, 2012 09:14 PM

Twisted Hobbys - Crack Yak Lite - Build Thread
 
136 Attachment(s)
Hello my Twisted friends!

It is time to release the new Crack Yak Lite! We are releasing this new airframe at this point in the flying season for our indoor specialists and winter flyers. This airframe is the standard 32" Crack Yak airframe with some slick engineering and design tweaks from our design, manufacturing and flight testing teams to deliver the same size Crack Yak but with 1.5 ounces of weight removed. In addition to the weight savings this new airframe has a thinner and better penetrating design.

People said of the original Crack Yak, just one year ago, that it was an EPP that could almost compete with Depron. And with the Crack Pitts' thinner wings that same report was even more prevalent. I think in the last year we showed that EPP in several ways was not only better but a ton more fun than Depron! :D With the new "Lite Series" we are going to begin to narrow or erase the indoor performance gap.

Our design goal with this airframe was to create the same level of an exciting airframe as the standard Crack Yak but to remove some of the weight penalty of EPP without totally removing the joy of total plowability and crash-proof-ness.

Now, the new Lite Series does not replace the standard Crack Series. For high energy, crazy outdoor fun, the original Crack Series is the going to continue to be the place to go. However, each series will receive their own upgrades as time goes on. In fact you can expect several upgrades, new airframes as well as some seriously new stuff to the normal Crack Series. Likewise, the new Lite Series will have it's own additions and improvements as time goes on.
--------------

Here is a pre production vid from our Czech crew. Outstanding flying! -
Crack Yak Lite Series (3 min 16 sec)


Let the build thread begin!

I am building two Crack Yak Lites as we speak. The first using the standard Welders method and the second using the alternative thin CA method. IMO opinion welders, being an evaporative glue, will result in a lighter and more durable airframe. We shall see!

Stand by for more in the next few evenings!
--------

Update - Build photos are coming along. I should have them all uploaded soon and will start working on the captions.

------------------

Crack Yak or Crack Yak Lite??

Having flown this thing for a while, I'm not sure the answer is so clear.

The Lite version with the power combo and digi servos is just plane sick! It is the ultimate in EPP performance. If you are a great 3D pilot and appreciate a very high level of performance and capability you will enjoy the Lite more. I really do not think you can match the Lite version for performance without going to a competition depron or even a milled competition depron.

However, If you crash a lot or really appreciate total plowability then the standard CY is going to be the one. Yes, the Lite is still very durable but thin EPP will tear easier and after time the tons and tons of glue will sap the added performance of the lighter plane. Whereas the standard CY flies great on 3S long after you have added an ounce of glue.

Wind is a smaller issue. You can fly both in wind. The standard CY might be a little better in the wind but in light winds and in the evening or night when a lot of us fly these things I think the Lite is just fine!

Happy Flying,
Chris Jewett:D

#2 livinma1 Oct 12, 2012 09:34 PM

subscribed.. AWESOME... Looking forward to the build Chris..

#3 Get Real Oct 12, 2012 09:37 PM

Looking forward to more info and video.

#4 Aaeolien Oct 12, 2012 09:38 PM

Oh man nice.

#5 pugsam Oct 12, 2012 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I won't be able to sleep tonight.....

;)

#6 Aaeolien Oct 12, 2012 09:54 PM

O course what color do I buy now. And the answer is not to buy them all. Lol.

#7 hercdriver7777 Oct 12, 2012 09:58 PM

48 Attachment(s)
Build Log Continued.

#8 SouthernFPV Oct 12, 2012 10:09 PM

My new Extra Slick will be here tomorrow. Looks like I'll have to add this one to the hanger too. Still enjoying the Pitts too. Looking forward to the build.

#9 3flyguy3 Oct 12, 2012 10:09 PM

I think that purple one has my name on it. Pre-orders?
Nice photo-shopping.

#10 fastfwd Oct 12, 2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 (Post 22986680)
Hello my Twisted friends!

It is time to release the new Crack Yak Lite! We are releasing this new airframe at this point in the flying season for our indoor specialists and winter flyers. This airframe is the standard 32" Crack Yak airframe with some slick engineering and design tweaks from our design, manufacturing and flight testing teams to deliver the same size Crack Yak but with 1.5 ounces of weight removed. In addition to the weight savings this new airframe has a thinner and better penetrating design.

People said of the original Crack Yak, just one year ago, that it was an EPP that could almost compete with Depron. And with the Crack Pitts' thinner wings that same report was even more prevalent. I think in the last year we showed that EPP in several ways was not only better but a ton more fun than Depron! :D With the new "Lite Series" we are going to begin to narrow or erase the indoor performance gap.

Our design goal with this airframe was to create the same level of an exciting airframe as the standard Crack Yak but to remove some of the weight penalty of EPP without totally removing the joy of total plowability and crash-proof-ness.

Now, the new Lite Series does not replace the standard Crack Series. For high energy, crazy outdoor fun, the original Crack Series is the going to continue to be the place to go. However, each series will receive their own upgrades as time goes on. In fact you can expect several upgrades, new airframes as well as some seriously new stuff to the normal Crack Series. Likewise, the new Lite Series will have it's own additions and improvements as time goes on.
--------------

Let the build thread begin!

I am building two Crack Yak Lites as we speak. The first using the standard Welders method and the second using the alternative thin CA method. IMO opinion welders, being an evaporative glue, will result in a lighter and more durable airframe. We shall see!

Stand by for more in the next few evenings!

Happy Flying,
Chris Jewett:D

Hmmm using SEX to sell planes ??? Okay ill buy one LOL

#11 hercdriver7777 Oct 12, 2012 10:25 PM

Using planes to sell SEX....

#12 astolenpose Oct 12, 2012 10:27 PM

I need to track down an indoor flying space just to justify buying one of these.

#13 3flyguy3 Oct 12, 2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastfwd (Post 22987071)
Hmmm using SEX to sell planes ??? Okay ill buy one LOL

Is this thread about planes??? What planes?

#14 Kris... Oct 12, 2012 11:56 PM

Chris when will we seem some footage of this in action ?

#15 hercdriver7777 Oct 13, 2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris... (Post 22987614)
Chris when will we seem some footage of this in action ?

Other than myself on the US team we have three guys working as we speak. In Czech crew there is one proto vid that we can share -
Crack Yak Lite Series (3 min 16 sec)


Sick!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.